༺19༻

'A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world.' - Leo Buscaglia

ೋღ🌹ღೋ

A week later...

I release a soft sigh as I relax against the sofa. The fire from the the fireplace encases my body in its warmth and soft glow as it illuminates the page of the book I am reading. I had come quite accustomed to spending some time in the quiet lounge area since I burned Luthers letter.

This place reminded me of the library back home, an escape from my reality as the silence settled around me, allowing my thoughts to wonder as they pleased whilst I escaped into the world of the book I was reading.

My thoughts soon drifted to my brothers.

They were coming for me.

I didn't want to let myself believe it. I had already been under the vampires influence for about a month now and there was no sign of them. What troubled me most is how they could possibly know that vampires exist. How else would they be able to access this hidden country unless they already knew about it?

I feel lied to.

Perhaps that was why they were always so protective, because they knew what lurked in the darkness. If they did come for me I would unleash a wrath of questions on them and they'd better answer them all truthfully.

I turn my head towards the door as it opens.
Ric closes the door behind him and pursues the sofa opposite me and slumps down. His hair is in disarray and his eyes appear tired. He runs a hand through his hair as he lets out a stressful sigh.

"Long day?" I comment playfully. His head snaps up, his gaze meeting mine as he processes what I said before nodding, a small smile now touching his lips.

The light from the fire gives his dark eyes a slight glint as it reflects of the almost black surface, "A stressful day. What are you reading?" He asks, his eyes glancing to the book in my lap.

I shrug, "Just a story about how your family built it's empire." He raises his brow in question, "I figure I should learn more about your kind since I'm stuck here." I explain, closing the book. I sit up, placing my feet back on the floor as I lean back on the couch and place the book on the seat next to me.

"My family have ruled for over three millennials. We're the youngest empire of the three but are the most powerful." His eyes gleam with pride, proud to be part of such a strong family. "One day when my father decides to retire it will be up to me to continue that legacy." He reveals but somehow I catch a flicker of pain that crosses his dark orbs, "If only my beloved were here to share it with me."

I offer him a small smile, not sure what I can say to make him feel better. I couldn't comprehend the pain he was feeling, to know that he had lost his other half, someone who was meant for him. It was a lot to lose. We remained in silence for a few moments but it wasn't awkward. It was actually quite peaceful and comforting to know he was right there. I didn't know why I felt like that but I didn't bother to question it as we held each other's gazes.

I couldn't help but feel he was searching for something in my eyes. I felt like an open book and he was turning through the pages as he pleased.

All of a sudden, he stands to his feet, his hand outstretched towards me. "I want to show you something." He says, his voice soft. I place my hand in his and allow him to pull me up and lead me out of the room. Our footsteps are in sync as he keeps a soft grip on my hand, my skin tingling at the contact as we breach a door on the side of the building and step into the estate garden.