10. CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT

IWBY
CHAPTER TEN: CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT

things between aurora and arvin had only gotten better in the following weeks. with the weather warming, the two had been out for many, many picnics and evening strolls. aurora had even been bold enough as to tell her parents that she was seeing an older boy, to her surprise her parents seemed quite happy.

despite her own happiness outside of school, the tiny girl couldn't deny that gene dinwoodie was getting more and more confident in his attempts to make aurora and lenora's lives a misery. every day, as soon as the bell rang, the two were shuffling out before the piles of teenagers, running towards Arvin's awaiting rusting car. exactly as they did right now. aurora didn't bother to try and catch her breath as the two pushed past the thick metal doors. her short skirt raised as she ran and she attempted her best to keep the red, tight fabric down.

lenora jumped into the vehicle first, just as gene and his friends pushed their way through the doors too. in the flash of a moment arvin pulled aurora's arm, pulling her into the car and quickly reaching over and slamming the rusting door. the group of boys watched aimlessly as arvin pushed down on the gas, leaving them in a trail of toxic fumes. aurora heard lenora and her boyfriend sigh at the same time as they relaxed in their seats. she couldn't lie; her legs were too busy shaking at the simple action of arvin's veiny arms reaching over to pull her door shut.

"th-thank you, arvin." the little girl mumbled as she pushed her blonde locks away from her face. aurora thanked him every time that they got away from the three terrors.

"they were just evil today." lenora grumbled from the seat behind her, turning a blind eye towards arvin's cigarette free hand coming to fall on top of aurora's thigh. "the lord won't be happy with them. you know, we had to eat our lunches in the toilets, ain't that right aurora!"

arvin's head snapped away from the road. "y'all ate your lunch in the bathroom?"

"i-it doesn't ma-"

"'course it matters, rory! these boys are bullyin' you both! it ain't okay." arvin turned back to the road and took his hand away from the little girl's thigh. he used his hand to wipe across his face, trying to clear his head. arvin remembered what his daddy had told him, he had to wait for the right moment. thing was, arvin was afraid his moment would slip away if he didn't act fast enough. rory frowned at the look on his face. the little girl had never seen her boyfriend look so stressed.

the three pulled into the drive of the church, pulling to a stop in front of a pretty stylish, new white car. "that preacher's a little flashy." aurora turned to her boyfriend, smiling and trying to make light of their day.

"are you two not comin'?" lenora asked as she moved to leave the car, watching as her two best friends stayed put in their seats, making eyes at one another.

"i'm g-gonna stay with arvin." the british girl stuttered back to her friend. she wanted to make sure that arvin was okay to the best of her abilities. it wasn't hard to read him, like it used to be.

"no, i got some things to do before we go home."

"cant we go do them after i go see mama?" aurora's heart nearly broke as she turned to look at lenora. the brunette girl's bottom lip shook slightly as her brow furrowed.

"no, you go on. i'll be back." the oldest rasped nonchalantly. lenora nodded, leaning forward to kiss aurora on the cheek and rub arvin's shoulder. "go on." the small smile on lenora's face dropped and she left the car miserably, slamming the rusted door behind her.