20. FINE SUNSET

IWBY
CHAPTER TWENTY: FINE SUNSET

sandy had turned around in her chair, lighting herself a cigarette. she looked panicked, as though she were trying her very hardest to seem neutral. carl was most definitely not peeing, and aurora had to pretend that she was busying herself by looking for something in her bag. sandy's hands were shaky as she pressed the match to the box, trying to light it up. "shoot." she mumbled, the cigarette between her lips shaking. arvin watched as it finally caught alight and she pushed it towards the cigarette. the look on arvin's face was nothing short of the way that aurora was feeling, completely and utterly confused and nervous.

"damn. that's gonna be one fine sunset." carl murmured from outside the car. he was suddenly at arvin's window and aurora jumped at the sudden noise against the car. she too had the unsettled feeling and dipped her head down further, rummaging for the nonexistent object. "you'll have to be patient with me while i get a few shots off. hon, give me the key." sandy pushed the metal into her husband's hand. "don't you worry none. we've got some hooch in the back and... well, sandy's good company."

aurora didn't like that tone. her hands shook as she reached for arvin's bag, pretending to look through that too.

"what you lost, sugar?" sandy asked the scurrying girl. she stopped dead in her tracks, eyes flickering up to her boyfriend. his eyes shared the same look as hers.

"j-just a n-necklace." the one that she had already placed on her best friend's grave.

"oh? i'm sure you'll find it." she turned back towards the front of the car. the thought of killing carl and taking off with the two in the back seat suddenly crossed sandy's mind.

arvin reached into his own back pocket, ever so slowly pulling out the pistol. once carl had everything that he wanted out of their boot he too pulled out his gun, waving it in his hand as he whistled. aurora watched her boyfriend with wide eyes as he cocked the gun.

carl started to open up their door. "you know what, lovers? why don't you two ste-" if you were to ask the little girl what had possessed her in that moment she wouldn't have been able to tell you. all she knew as that arvin was being threatened, and that she would do anything to save him. in an instant aurora used all of her might to push the open door back onto the middle aged man. he grunted and arvin acted just as quickly, leaning back and squeezing the trigger of his pistol twice. aurora jumped, whimpering at the sight. carl flew backwards, landing on the hard grass. arvin panted erratically at the sight, but sandy was shuffling into her own bag, pulling out twin to carl's. arvin caught sight, pushing aurora's head back down and pointing it towards sandy. the middle aged woman cocked her own at the same time.

"no! calm down, please!" she begged.

"i don't wanna shoot you! put the gun down!" arvin ordered. aurora dug her nails into her palms, trying her hardest not to scream. "i don't wanna shoot."

sandy shook her head. "i'm so sorry!" the two shot at the same time. aurora scrambled as arvin moved backwards on the chair. she practically launched herself into the seat, hands flying all over him to try and find any form of wound.

"are you okay?!" her voice was muffled behind their ears, ringing from the loud shots. it all happened so quickly, but the tall boy wasn't hurt. his chestnut curtains fell onto his forehead as he shut his eyes. he pulled aurora into him by her forearms, crushing her against him.

"fuck." he exhaled. the boy pressed a longing kiss to aurora's forehead, but she was too busy crying to notice. she suddenly cried out, gripping onto her lover as she let everything out. he held her as she cried, shushing her with wide eyes as he stared at the two lifeless bodies, both in and outside the cars. "don't cry, pretty girl." he lifted her head, wiping the tears away with his thumb. "you're too pretty to cry. c'mon, we're safe. we're here." she nodded, the tears still falling. the little girl had no idea how he was so damn calm. "we've gotta go, okay? we've gotta go."

the two fell out of the car. aurora quickly shuffled to pick up their bags as arvin ran around to carl's lifeless body. he searched the man for anything he could find; there was no way that the two were their first victims. arvin pulled money and cash away from carl's wallet before trying to usher his tiny girl away with him.

to his very surprise, she was back inside the car, rubbing away their fingertips and rummaging through the interiors of the car. she pulled out two rolls of film slowly, passing them to her lover with a shaking hand. arvin helped her leave the vehicle before opening up the rolls, eyes widening at the sight of the pictures. he pushed the girl away from the car before she could even catch a sight of them, picking up their bags and running further into the woods.

she couldn't help but wonder as she ran whether coming with arvin was the right choice. she could've been cuddled up on her bed with a cup of tea, fingers deep in reggie's fur as she watched the sunset. but she would've felt an undying guilt if she had let arvin leave alone. would things have played out the same?

she would never know, and for now, all that was left to do was run.

IWBY
CHAPTER TWENTY: FINE SUNSET