Arrival

Athens, Greece

.

Thirteen hours, two naps, one bad dream, and four arguments later, they had reached Athens, Greece.

It was beautiful.

At least, at night it was. The small lights from houses and street lamps weren't as overwhelming as it would be if you landed in somewhere like New York. Instead they dotted the ground as if you could see the stars up close and beneath you instead of above.

Alex pressed her head so much against the cold glass window someone would think she'd want to stick her head out. Maybe she did, the sight below was simply breathtaking.

Welcome to Greece, Eric told her, and right after that it was time for them to take their bags and head inside the airport.

A forty-five-minute bus ride she pretty much slept through again, and they reached the University's overseas building for students abroad, each receiving their keys and who their roommates would be.

"I wonder who my room-mate's gonna be." Glancing at the rest of the girls in their fifteen-member group, they all seemed to know each other quite well while Alex stood out like a sore thumb.

Social Anxiety was gonna be a bummer when she'd have to share a room with them.

"Maybe it'll be me, we're co-ed, remember?"

Surprisingly enough, she actually felt relieved when Eric said that, adjusting her bag over her shoulder and standing in line in front of him. "What, nothing sarcastic to say?"

"As shocking as this may be to you, I'd rather be paired with you than anyone else here, so no, nothing sarcastic to say."

Oh, it'd definitely be weird sharing a room with Eric. Alex knew for a fact that he always slept and walked around shirtless in his room and loved singing to music at the top of his lungs despite the fact that he was tone deaf. Not only that, but she'd never shared a room with a guy before. No, her brother didn't count, and that hadn't even been for long.

Every school trip and camp out she had been on had a system where the girls would always be paired together and as would the guys. Even the apartment Alex currently lived in back in the States was filled with only girls.

She didn't know how to share a room with a guy, but with the alternative Alex was facing, she was more than willing to try.

"Name please?"

Alex glanced down at the girl behind the desk and smiled. "Alexandria Jacques."

"How do you spell your last name?"

"J-A-Q-C"

The lady scanned the list in front of her and nodded, tapping her finger on what seemed to be Alex's name before reaching next to her and shuffling through the pile of keys.

"Okay, you're actually paired with the person behind you, it's a two per room system, are you alright with sharing a room with him?"

She looked by at a grinning Eric and rolled her eyes before nodding. "I'm fine with that, thank you."

"Smile Alex...it'll be fun."

"I swear Eric, if you wake my up in the middle of the night with your signing-."

"You'll dismember me and shove it all down my throat, I remember."

-

"Hello everyone...welcome to Athens, and I am sure that you will most definitely enjoy your stay, and studies, here."

There was a chorus of slight groans at the word 'studies'...Alex wasn't one of them.

One good night's rest (Eric had taken the threat seriously) was more than enough for her to still feel dead by the time she got on the tour bus the next day.

The woman standing at the front of the moving bus continued. "My name is Athalia, and I will help you all get settled into daily life here in Greece. But first, we rented this bus because like all people who come here, I'm sure you'd like a tour of Athens."

There were a couple of cheers this time, and Alex was actually one of them.

"Well then, off we go!"

Athalia's accent came out thick as she spoke, and as she gripped the bars tightly to keep her balance on the moving bus, Alex found herself staring Athalia in the eye for a split second as she scanned the group.

Her eyes were grey.

No, not the type of grey that could lean either to a blueish shade or green. No, pure grey. Was that some rare mutation or something? Alex would have to look it up later.

"I'll be your personal tour guide Alexandria."

"I'll be perfectly fine, thank you."

"You'll need someone familiar with the area, not just anyone you know?"

She frowned and lifted a hand towards Athalia. "And that's why she's here Eric....so I'm fine."

Alexandria knew better than to expect him to leave at that moment, regretting the fact that she hadn't tried harder to get her friends to join her on this trip.

The only place Angie ever wanted to go to was South Korea, and her other friend Natalie to Japan...bums.