Pythia

"Who are you and how do you know me?"

The woman simply stared at Alexandria blankly.

She was rather short compared to Alex' five-foot-six, curly brown hair let loose and plain brown eyes. Her olive looking skin was tanned from time in the sun and she also had freckles. Her nose, however, was a tell-tale sign that she was Greek.

Alex didn't even know this woman's name.

"Eimi Pythia."

Alex did not need the startled expression of Eric to tell her what the woman had said. Enough time studying Greek culture had taught her at least that. And she struggled not to laugh at the woman out of respect.

"You're an oracle? You mean that you're the oracle of Delphi, in Athens?"

That statement caused the woman to crack. At least she smiled. A chilling smile but one nonetheless.

"Nai'...Yes."

Alex turned to look at Eric, he simply had stepped to the side and shrugged defensively when she laid eyes on him.

This woman had lost it, and Alex found herself somewhat playing along. Somewhat.

"So why is the 'Oracle' of Apollo here at a temple dedicated to Athena instead of being where she is supposed to be?"

"I am here for you Alexandria, or Alex, as you like to be called."

Alex found herself stepping back cautiously. This insane woman could have gotten her name from the multiple times it had been called out during their time so far at the Parthenon. It would have been an easy guess to say that she was from America, not that tourists usually were; but it seemed as though natives from other countries could key in almost certainly on the Americans.

But the fact that this woman knew that she was born in Canada, or how she knew her age; that was not something Alex could explain.

"Okay, let's just say that you are here for Alex. Well then why?"

Eric spoke the words for her, a slightly amused look on his face as he stared the woman down.

"Because, she has been fated for War."

-

What the heck was fated for war?

Alexandria couldn't help but look at the woman as if she had three heads. "Could you possibly explain what you mean by that?"

"You are fated for War, a war is coming that you cannot escape, and you must choose your side. You can choose, but you cannot evade it. You cannot evade fate."

Alex lifted her hands and began to massage her her temples, closing her eyes and wondering why in the world was she still speaking to such a woman.

Oh right, she knew where she had been born and how old she was.

"C-Can you just tell me your name, please?"

"Phemonoe."

Alex nearly jumped as Eric broke out into a low chuckle, shaking his head as he did so. She raised a brow. "What is so funny?" Eric nodded at Phemonoe. "She says she's an oracle, and then she says that she has the same name as the first oracle and supposed daughter of Apollo. Great, just great." He raked a hand through his mess of chestnut hair and sighed. "Have you gotten yourself checked lately ma'am, and I mean psychologically?"

Alex snapped at him. "Eric!"

"What? I simply saying what you're thinking, and don't even deny it."

Well, she really couldn't, the woman really was crazy.

Crazy and creepy.

It seemed as though the woman could read her thoughts, either that or it was obvious to her as well how completely illogical she sounded. "Is there any possible way to prove myself to you?"

Eric huffed and crossed his arm, leaning against the Grecian column and crossing his arms. "Oh, I don't know, make your eyes turn white and sputter out a prophecy or something. That'll definitely work."

Phemonoe, or whatever her name really was, nodded slowly before turning around to walk away. Alex was taken back by this, simply looking on as Eric reached out and grabbed the woman's wrist, only to have her pull away and motion for the two to follow her.

Alexandria didn't budge, a frown marring her face as she pointed at that direction. "What in the world just happened?" Eric smirked and walked closer to her. "Well, you just met an Oracle."

Alex looked up at him skeptically. "You believe in those stuff?" He simply lifted his shoulders in a shrug. "Should I? Maybe I'll be sure when we follow her."

"You plan on actually going after her? Who the heck is she and why would I?"

He leaned closer to her ear and whispered. "Because she knows where you were born and you want to know why. Plus, I'll be there with you. It's not as if I'll let you get kidnapped or anything."

She chuckled sarcastically at that. "Sure, next thing I know you are part of this thing too."

He grinned and begin to walk backwards in the direction she had disappeared to. "You'll never know, c'mon." Alexandria glanced behind her to look at the group, making sure that they were still around before she left to go with him. As little as she would like to admit it, having Eric going with her made her anxiety settle down significantly.

-

"This looks like a scene from a Historical movie, like one of those creepy ones."

Eric's remark got him a slap on the arm, he only flinched and rubbed the sore area. "Seriously? Why are you so abusive?"

Alexandria didn't respond, too busy huddling close to him and looking at the walls of the underground tunnel they had found themselves going into...the one he practically dragged her into.

No, seriously, he pretty much picked her up, threw her over his shoulder while she struggled and fought with him, and carried her into the tunnel.

She still wasn't happy about that, but the fear she had of this place overshadowed this fact for the moment. "Let's just go faster, can we?"

The walls of the tunnel were lighted by occasional torches. Paintings that resembled those she would see on vases in museums cover both sides of the wall, and Alex distracted herself by trying to identify them.

There was one about Apollo, she could only assume that it was Apollo because of the hair, the beardless face, and the lyre in his hands. He was chasing a girl, and Alex identified her as Daphne.

Another one was that of Paris with the three goddesses Athena, Aphrodite, and Hera. It was the myth behind the beginning of the Trojan War, and she could make out the apple being thrown into the air between the women and Paris.

Then she saw Ares, on his knees before Athena as he lost yet another war. Alexandria paused on that picture for a while, her eyes scanning over her favorite goddess before she briefly glanced at the god of war.

Fated for war...

Phemonoe couldn't possibly mean that could she? These people, these deities were myths; and if Alex was fated for a myth than her life was a lot more depressing that she had already thought.

"You finally made it."

Phemonoe's voice echoed in the walls of the cave opening they had finally reached. She sat on a large stone that lifted her nearly four feet above Alex's head, both she and Eric looked up to see her.

Her eyes were glowing, brown eyes hidden behind a veil of white light as she stared down at the two.

"Welcome."