Chapter 35

"Loki!"

"Loki!"

I've never had a heart attack before, but I imagine that's what it must feel like. Like someone reached into your chest, wrapped their hand firmly around your heart, and squeezed the life out of it like an anaconda.

Loki cried out in pain when the blade was thrust through him. The monster kept him there to stare into his eyes for a moment before sliding him off the metal and tossing him to the ground like a discarded toy.

"Loki no." I sobbed out, finally reaching him and dropping to my knees at his side. I took his shaking hand in mine. There was more shuffling behind me where the monster stood, but I didn't care. My focus was solely on him. His back arched in pain before he succumbed to the hole in his chest and clutched it with his other hand. He didn't look at me yet, his eyes were still trained on the creature behind me.

"See you in hell monster." He spat out. Then the grenade tied to the sword went off, and the giant, hellish elf screamed as it collapsed into itself in a small black hole.

I wanted it to be another illusion so bad, just another one of Loki's games, but I knew in my heart that it wasn't. This was real, it was really happening, and it could very well be the end of Loki's life.

Thor ran over once the grenade was finished devouring the beast. He scooped up Loki's head into his arms while he whimpered in pain. "Ah you fool, you didn't listen."

"I know, I'm a fool. I'm a foo-" he couldn't finish his sentence because he had a sudden lapse of pain.

"Hey, stay with me Loki, please." I begged, placing my hand over the hole in his chest and trying to help him heal. I gathered all the energy I could from around me, but even with that, his life was slipping away faster than I could heal him. It felt like he was poisoned too, probably from the blade.

I may see Loki as an invincible being sometimes, but I wasn't stupid. I knew there was no way his body could handle being run through with a giant blade, center mass. Despite all that however, I tried to reassure the both of us that everything was going to be alright.

Tears rolled down my face as Loki's eyes met mine. "Just stay awake Loki. You're gonna be just fine."

Loki, still trembling, gave a small smile and answered. "Lex, you and I both know that's a lie."

I shook my head, more tears falling. "And you and I both know that I can't watch you die." I placed a hand on his cheek and he closed his eyes, relishing the contact for possibly the last time.

"I love you Lex, so much." He had stopped trembling by now, and I could feel his life draining away far too quickly. I knew Loki was about to die, and so did Thor. Loki looked to him next, eyes full of sorrow. "I'm sorry brother, I'm sorry."

Thor smiled and placed a hand on his shoulder. "All is forgiven."

His skin was turning grey I noticed, and his skin was growing colder. His eyes began to droop. I rubbed his cheek with my thumb and dropped my voice down to a whisper. "Stay awake Loki. Just stay awake. Please."