Chapter 20 - Signs of Armageddon

"Somehow, I was able to win against Kurosaki. However, what was that phantom that appeared before me back there...?"

Yukio wondered as he stared at Starlight Wing Radiant Dragon's card in his room. Just a little while ago, he was locked in an intense battle against Kurosaki Shun, one of the most unsociable and distrusting members of the Lancers. In the end, he was able to claim victory and eventually come to an understanding with him through this Duel. However, that was only made possible due to the advice of a ghostly figure that resembled his old teacher, through which he was able to acquire Clearwing's final form.

"Assuming Kouji-sensei hasn't passed away and came here as a ghost to cheer me up, someone or something had to be using his form as a disguise to communicate with me back then." Yukio reasoned. "Still, that raises the question of who the Hell that was and what their purpose is. Not to mention...I'm certain I saw something else within that mysterious light..."

Back then, he had gazed inside Shinewing's eyes in an attempt to discover the way to release its full power by making contact with the dragon's will. Although Shinewing guided him to the end of that path, Yukio had also briefly glimpsed something that looked like a blank card behind Starlight Wing's then shadowed figure.

"The more things I discover, the more questions I end up having..." Yukio said while letting out a deep sigh. "What an irritating paradox. Well, I suppose I'll put it aside for now. After all, the final match of the day is about to begin."

Turning his gaze on the television, Yukio saw the familiar figure of Melissa Claire, who was commenting on upcoming events while riding a helicopter that flew above the Duel Palace like usual.

[Now, it's time for the final match of the third round!] Melissa announced. [The Duelists competing for the final spot in the best four are—Yugo and Serena! Let's welcome both of them as they make their way to the course!]

Shortly after the two of them made their way to the starting line, Serena scolded Yugo for seemingly daydreaming and ignoring her. In response, Yugo attempted to hug her while screaming Rin's name, which resulted in Serena sending him flying with an uppercut.

"Seriously, Yugo...?" Yukio shook his head in exasperation at that scene. "Rin might be Serena's Synchro counterpart, but how the Hell could you confuse the two? The announcer clearly said she was Serena before for crying out loud."

It seemed to Yukio that Yugo was a bit of an airhead to put it mildly. This impression was further reinforced when Yugo still tried to hug Serena even though she clearly stated that she wasn't Rin, which resulted in him receiving a barrage of kicks and punches in return. He certainly was a stubborn fellow.

[Hey, Yugo, how long are you going to keep this up?] Melissa complained. [We can't start like this. And you have to get on with your Duel with Serena—eh, we're out of time? Well...in that case...we've kept you waiting, everyone! But now, it's time for the final Duel of the second round to begin!]

"Serena, you must win this Duel by any means necessary." Roget remarked before opening a communications channel. "Everyone, pay attention to the movements of Serena's D-Wheel. Should the need present itself, prepare to change the Duel Lanes."

Shortly afterwards, the Duel began, although Yugo got off to a late start due to his earlier antics. Despite that, he was able to overtake Serena and take the first turn. However, he only summoned Speedroid Den-Den Daiko Duke in attack mode, ending his turn with that.

"What the Hell is that idiot doing?" Yukio had an incredulous expression on his face. "Placing a Monster with 1200 attack in attack mode with no face-downs to support it is practically suicide against an offensive player like Serena."