Chapter 57 - Hour of Twilight

"Are you sure...this is the right way...to that damned Professor's throne room...?"

"Yes, but are you sure you're in a condition to fight? You've been acting really weird since some time ago..."

"I...am fine. I cannot stop now. Not when Rin is so close."

Yugo responded with some difficulty to Sora, who was running next to him. Yugo had encountered the wounded Sora while running around aimlessly in an attempt to locate the Professor. After giving him some basic first aid, Sora offered to show him the way to the Professor's chambers. While they should have arrived there already, Yugo was assaulted by some sort of strange seizures that both delayed them and concerned Sora greatly.

This condition...it was exactly the same as when Yuya and Yukio fought in the Friendship Cup... Sora thought as he recalled Yugo's eyes, which eerily glowed green, and his hate-filled expression as he muttered incomprehensible things. Rin's name was able to bring him back, but...I can't help but feel that something really serious is going on here... And I can't really dismiss this as mere paranoia...

"Oi, can you hear me?" Yugo suddenly called out. "How much longer do we have until we reach the boss's room? I'm in a really bad mood right now, and I need somewhere to vent fast."

"You were going to go straight to the Professor without even giving me a greeting? Now that's just plain rude."

Yugo and Sora stopped in their tracks as a familiar silhouette stood before them. After stepping out from the shadows, the form of Yuri with his usual sardonic smile could be now clearly seen, causing Sora to start trembling.

"Yuri... Why did it have to be you of all people...? And the aura he's emitting... It feels even more dreadful than before..."

"Oh, so you were still alive, Shiunin Sora." Yuri briefly glanced at Sora, causing him to flinch. "As expected from such a nimble rat. I would love to finish you off, but my business with Yugo over there takes precedence."

"It's not Fusion, it's—!" Yugo started saying, but then abruptly paused. "...Huh, you actually got my name correctly. That's unexpected, you grinning bastard."

"And yet, despite my courtesy, your vulgar ways never change..." Yuri sighed in exasperation, but then smiled. "Well, it doesn't matter. I'm in a wonderful mood today, so I won't let such trivialities spoil it. After all, the ultimate power will soon be within my grasp. And the first step to that is defeating you, Yugo."

"Ultimate power?" Yugo frowned. "What sort of nonsense are you spouting now? No, forget about it. More importantly, where is Rin? What does the Professor want with her?"

"It's always Rin, Rin, Rin with you, isn't it?" Yuri snorted. "Seriously, your one-track mind never ceases to astonish me. I suppose it's no wonder you're still not seeing the big picture, or that you've missed the messages. Haven't you been feeling it since a while back? The quickening of our souls as the power sleeping within us seeks to awaken and become one once again? When that happens, I'll finally be able to fulfil my ambition and stand at the top as the mightiest existence! Yes, through us, the Supreme King Dragon Zarc will be revived!"

"Zarc...?" Sora muttered. "What's he talking about...?"

"Have you finally lost your mind?" Yugo narrowed his eyes at Yuri. "I don't know about any ultimate power or Zarc or whatever, but if you stand in my way, I'll blow you away. Nice and simple. This time...I'll rescue Rin without fail!"

"It seems you still don't get it." Yuri shook his head. "It can't be helped then. Either way, it doesn't matter whether you understand it or not. In the end, your fate is to become a foundation for me to rise even higher. Now, let's commence the next phase of the resurrection of the demon that will destroy this world!"