Chapter 35: Their Respective Resolves

"Damn, no matter what I do, I cannot interfere with the software in any manner! Is it truly hopeless unless we can take down the source of the rogue signals...?"

Byron's voice was filled with despair as he stared at the Momentum Reactor's interface, inwardly cursing his powerlessness for being incapable of doing anything else at this point. He had already experienced this feeling once when he failed to protect his best friend, Faker, and his family. Needless to say, he didn't much like being in this position once again.

"While I understand where you're coming from, raging about it or losing faith won't help anyone, Byron-san." Kaito said. "If we can't do anything about the bomb from this side, we'll just have to leave things to our comrades and trust that they'll pull through for us as they have so far. Having faith in those who fight side-by-side with you is the Resistance's creed after all, no?"

"Kaito..."

Byron looked at his best friend's son with a warm gaze. Although Kaito had closed his heart off following the loss of his family, it seemed he was slowly turning back to the person he was before this dreadful war started. Byron inwardly expressed his gratitude to Shun, Yuya, Yukio and Sayaka for getting Kaito to leave his hatred aside and fight for the future instead.

"There's been a development." Edo abruptly interjected, causing both Kaito and Byron to turn to him. "It appears Tachibana Yukio has made contact with one of the targets and has initiated a Duel with him."

"And so it begins..." Byron muttered as he turned his gaze back to the pulsating reactor. "Please, hang in there, everyone. And help us save our homeland..."

At a corridor within Heartland Tower...

[Duel!]

Both Yukio and Barrett shouted together while glaring at each other.

Yukio – LP: 4000

Barrett – LP: 4000

"Before we begin, I'll first make sure this Duel cannot be interrupted by disrespectful brutes with no notion of honor." Barrett said. "I'd rather avoid a repeat of last time."

Before Yukio could ask him what he meant by that, Barrett took out a cylindrical device and threw it at the floor. Immediately afterwards, a rectangular Real Solid Vision cage-like structure was generated from that device, spreading across the corridor and enclosing the two Duelists within its confines.

"This is..." Yukio narrowed his eyes at the sight of the cage. "I see. Since we're cut off from everyone else, none of us can receive assistance from our respective comrades until the Duel is concluded."

"Indeed. Now, the one who strikes first has the advantage!" Barrett shouted. "My turn! Draw! Prepare yourself, Tachibana Yukio. While I have the utmost respect for you and your fellow Lancers as brave warriors, I must defeat you here for the sake of my mission. Moreover, because of your interference, I was unable to retrieve Serena-sama back in the Synchro Dimension and was forced to return back to Academia in disgrace. That's why there's no way I'll waste this last chance of redemption that the Professor has so graciously offered me."

"Oh, so you are after revenge as well after all." Yukio smirked. "You Academia soldiers and your stupid pride, every single one of you is the same. In any case, seeing as you hold one of the keys to Heartland's salvation, I'm afraid I'll have to spoil your plans once again. More importantly, however, I have a question for you, big guy."

"A question?" Barrett wondered. "What is it?"

"Judging from your attitude, I daresay you were close to Serena." Yukio said. "In that case, tell me; how is she? Is she alright? Because if you bastards have done anything to her, I swear I'll burn Academia to the ground and you people along with it."