Chapter 80 - Maiami Championship Preliminaries IV

[The time for the preliminaries' end is almost upon us! The only Duelists left that have yet to battle are Yugo, Sakaki Yuya, Kurosaki Ruri and Yuto! Are you all just as excited as I am for the upcoming two matches!?]

Nico's query was met with cheers that resounded throughout the entire Maiami Stadium. Next to him, Melissa smiled.

[That's one boisterous yes if I've ever heard one! Now then, with the four Duelists dashing like crazy towards each other's location, this...oh, it looks like there's an encounter in the Volcano area! That was fast!]

The monitors surrounding the stadium began transmitting images of the Volcano area, where two Duelists were facing each other next to the river of lava. Upon catching sight of them, Kaito smirked.

"It's Yuto and Ruri, eh? This should be interesting to watch."

As they faced each other, both Yuto and Ruri had matching smiles on their faces.

"Truth be told, I was hoping to face Yugo and settle my grudge." Yuto said. "But this isn't so bad either."

"Hm?" Ruri raised an eyebrow. "You'd better not be implying that I'm not enough, Yuto. Otherwise, you're in for some punishment."

"I would never." Yuto said. "I'm many things, but stupid isn't one of them. I've fought with and against you many times, so I know full well how skilled you are."

"Good boy." Ruri smiled. "As for me, I was hoping we'd get to Duel against one another. Our last Duel...wasn't exactly a pleasant one for everyone involved..."

Yuto frowned at this. The last time they had fought against each other, Ruri was controlled by the Doktor's parasites and had turned vicious, while he was little more than a phantom who could only exchange places with Yuya at times. Not pleasant was an understatement in his opinion.

"But we're here now, and we can enjoy ourselves to our hearts' content." Ruri said as she activated her Duel Disk. "That's why, try not to lose too quickly, OK?"

"Someone's confident, especially considering your win ratio against me." Yuto said as he activated his Duel Disk as well. "Let's see just how much stronger you've got, Ruri."

[The pair this time is Yuto and Ruri-chan!] Melissa announced. [Therefore, without further ado, Preliminary Round seventh match, start!]

[Duel!]

Both Duelists shouted together.

Yuto – LP: 4000

Ruri – LP: 4000

"I'll take the first turn." Yuto said. "I place three cards face-down and end my turn."

"Your usual start, eh?" Ruri chuckled. "Some things never change. Fortunately, my Dueling isn't one of them. My turn! Draw! Using the Scale 0 Lyrical Luscinia – Topaz Prinia (ATK: 100/DEF: 100/LV: 1/SC: 0) and the Scale 5 Lyrical Luscinia – Zircon Dunnock (Wind/Winged Beast/Pendulum/Effect/ATK: 100/DEF: 100/LV: 1/SC: 5), I Set the Pendulum Scale!"

Two columns of light appeared on Ruri's field, with Topaz Prinia and a female anthropomorphic bird colored silver with dark blue gems attached to its body rising to their top.

"With my current Scale, I can simultaneously summon Monsters with Levels 1 through 4." Ruri continued. "Pendulum Summon! Flock to me, Lyrical Luscinia – Cobalt Sparrow (ATK: 0/DEF: 100/LV: 1), Lyrical Luscinia – Larimar Finch (ATK: 100/DEF: 0/LV: 1) and Lyrical Luscinia – Iolite Chough (ATK: 100/DEF: 0/LV: 1)!"

Three beams of light erupted from the Pendulum portal, solidifying into the forms of Monsters upon landing on Ruri's field.

"Since it was Special Summoned, Cobalt Sparrow's effect allows me to add a second copy of it from my Deck to my hand." Ruri said. "Moreover, Iolite Chough's effect allows me to draw cards from my Deck equal to the number of other "Lyrical Luscinia" Monsters on my field, in this case two. Next, I activate Sapphire Swallow's effect in my hand, which allows me to Special Summon it along with a Level 1 "Lyrical Luscinia" Monster from my hand. Come, Lyrical Luscinia – Sapphire Swallow (ATK: 100/DEF: 0/LV: 1) and the second copy of Cobalt Sparrow!"