Chapter 44: Blazing Souls

"It looks like things are about to come to a close regarding Sanders' little training session. I always knew that fool was all talk and no results. The Professor shouldn't have trusted him to take care of Sakaki Yuya."

The Doktor shook his head in exasperation as he watched the events of the Survival Duel taking place right now through the eyes of a student in the audience that had been implanted with one of his Parasite Monsters. After the three Lancers had been dropped to Sanders' arena, the instructor had proceeded to send five of his own students against them in a free-for-all Battle Royal inside a Real Solid Vision forest. However, the catch was that Sanders had also unleashed the uncontrollable Battle Beast as well, with the defective Duelist making short work of the Academia students before turning his attention to the Lancers. And while it seemed he would take care of them as well, having disabled the Duel Disk of one and defeating a second—

"But to think that an ally of our enemies would appear out of the blue at such a critical juncture..."

The old man muttered so as he turned his sight to the blond-haired Duelist riding a D-Wheel that had intruded on the fight. Thanks to the assistance of that Jack Atlas, the situation had swiftly turned in favor of the Lancers even with Sanders personally stepping in. To make matters worse, Battle Beast turned on Sanders after snapping and defeated him, although the Academia instructor managed to escape in the end through a secret passage hidden in the arena.

"Either way, with this, Sanders is all but finished." The Doktor chuckled as he viewed the unfolding Duel. "I always said to the Professor that true growth can only be accomplished by strictly controlling a person's evolutionary path towards the desired outcome. That worthless man's outdated notions about survival of the fittest have only managed to produce inconsistent results disproportionate to the effort and resources spent. On the other hand, my Parasite Monsters can bring out a Duelist's full potential, especially once the trials of Phase 2 are complete. And to think that my short-sighted colleagues in the past had the audacity to call me a madman once I presented my discoveries to them..."

The Doktor gritted his teeth in frustration as he recalled the time when he was considered one of the brightest minds of his country and many great things were expected from him. His field of expertise was the study of the human brain, and more specifically, its responses to several stimuli. Thanks to his thorough study of the brain's patterns and neural network, he had come up with ways to influence behavior, inhibit or enhance a person's emotional responses, manipulate the signals responsible for pain and ultimately place a person under someone else's complete control. He had presented his findings before the scientific community, certain that they would prove invaluable to the war effort and instrumental for their country's victory. Instead, petty morals had triumphed over pragmatism, with his fellow scientists condemning him for his supposedly unethical experiments and his country's leaders following suit. He was quickly labelled a dangerous element, with the army detaining him and forbidding him from conducting any more research.

However, things changed when the Professor arrived in the Fusion Dimension and united it under his rule after putting an end to the war with the use of Real Solid Vision technology. It was him who had liberated the Doktor, recognizing his talent and the value his research could have to the great cause of uniting the dimensions. It was partly thanks to his accomplishments that the most of the Academia army had remained loyal to the Professor, with his Parasite Monsters being the last in a long list of discoveries. And soon enough, his research would give birth to the perfect warrior, one far superior to the admittedly limited Duel Bot.

"But first things first." The Doktor remarked upon noticing that somebody had hacked into the system transporting one of the captive Lancers, Tachibana Yukio, who also happened to be one of the priority targets. "It looks like someone is interfering with our systems again. And that Duel Disk frequency...is it that troublesome Amon Garam the one doing this? Well, a scientist can obtain valuable results even when unknown variables are thrown into the mix. I suppose this is as good a chance as any to test out the Phase 2 prototype. Fight fire with fire as they say."