Ch. 27: Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust

FLASHBACK
4 Years Ago

Something was awry at the neighborhood.

-Himawari Household 7:46 PM-

It was the 30th of June that year. A fire had set ablaze in the Himawari household. The fire proceeded to burn down the entire house... as well as someone else.

Risa was standing alongside her mother. They can do nothing as their house was being consumed by the flames. On Risa's hands was a red knitted beanie that had the inscription "Rio".

Eventually, out of the flames came Risa's father, full of burns all over the body and looking rather devasted.

"Did you get him...?" Said Risa's mom.

Risa's dad can only respond by shaking his head in a depressed fashion.

"No..." Said Risa's mom, kneeling down and breaking down crying.

Risa tried to comfort her crying mother, but then her dad, in a fit of anger, pulled her away from her mom.

"Shut the hell up! You were the one who killed Rio!" Said Risa's dad. "If your mother wouldn't have given birth to you, then none of this would have happened!"

"B-But... Dad..." Risa replied, as tears began to flow down her face.

"I'm not your dad anymore... You understand?!" Said Risa's dad. "You mean nothing from me from now on! You scum! Your existence disgusts me!"

"Now... go away... get out of my sight right now... or I'm gonna have to kill you as well!" Risa's dad continued.

END OF FLASHBACK

Fast forward to right now, Risa, after having witnessed Shisui getting stabbed by Hyouka Shirayuki's Sub-Zero Saber, was shocked silent.

"Oops! Didn't meant to overdo it..." Said Hyouka. "Just kidding~! Ohohohohoho!"

"You..." Risa replied.

At that point, Risa could feel a strong surge of anger rise up within her at an alarming rate. She couldn't control it. Her mind was too focused on destroying Hyouka at this point.

Flames started to form from her frozen hands, melting the ice around her instantly and allowing her to escape. Hyouka couldn't believe her eyes.

"I-Impossible!" Said Hyouka. "How could you...?!"

Immediately after breaking free, the first thing Risa did was to walk toward Hyouka. When suddenly...

"Risa!" Said a familiar voice.

Kouya and the rest of Mugen had just arrived in the deli, to aid Risa and Shisui.

"Risa!" Said Kouya. "Where's Shisui?"

Eventually, Kouya's glance shifted to Shisui, who was slowly getting weaker and weaker by the second as she was losing alarming amounts of blood.

"SHISUI!" Said Kouya. "Rrrgh, damn you! You won't get away from thi-

However, before Kouya could step any closer, Risa signalled him to stop.

"Stay there..." Said Risa. "I'll handle Hyouka by myself."

"But-" Kouya replied.

"Didn't you hear me? I said stay back!" Said Risa. "Take Shisui away from this place before it's too late. I'll take on that ice bitch from here."

Music: "The Phoenix" by Reveille (Laced; 1999)

Kouya nods, and goes to tend to Shisui's wounds. Meanwhile, Risa shifts her focus over to Hyouka.