Ch. 23: Strings of Fate

After losing track of Shisui and her new allies following her escape from the R.E.D.'s grasp, the Mugen gang, the shadowy figure was utterly livid, when suddenly, he was interrupted by an R.E.D. agent, who had told him about certain new "prospects" that could help them out in recapturing Shisui.

Eventually, the five prospects arrive in the facility, where the shadowy figure was waiting for them. One of the prospects turned out to be none other than Denji Akashi. He had arrived in the place alongside four other teenagers. Their faces, sans Denji's, were also obscured by the minimal room lighting.

"You're the head of this place, right?" Said Denji. "If so, then make this quick."

"Hehehehehe... Slow down there, my boy." The entity replied, as he slowly reveals his face from the shadows. "Let's not get too hasty, now."

The shadowy figure eventually reveals his face:

"I'm Dr. Hiraku Sakai." Said the entity, his face now in plain sight. "Head scientist of R.E.D. Laboratories. Nice to meet you."

Denji nods and crosses his arms.

"OK, then, 'Dr. Sakai'." Said Denji. "What exactly have you called me for?"

"Well, you see... I have a little mission for you, if you choose to accept it..." Dr. Sakai replied, as he slides in a couple of pictures on the desk. "I want you... to take care of this little girl for me."

"Her name is Shisui, and she holds lots of secrets that may put my company at serious danger." Dr. Sakai continued. "Bring her to me, dead or alive, by all means necessary, and while you're at it, take down her newfound posse as well."

-Apartment 10:19 PM-

Meanwhile, following their encounter with a brainwashed Iro, Kouya and the rest of Mugen had to put her down in order to release her from her brainwashing, caused by a "Crawler", who was forcibly seizing control of her brain. Upon waking up, Iro was shocked. She couldn't believe what she has done.

Kouya proceeded to call an ambulance for Old Man Osamu, who had been rendered unconscious during, with Iro following him to the hospital to take care of him. This leaves Kouya and the rest of Mugen alone in their apartment.

"Man, today has been... pretty rough." Said Kouya.

"You tell me... Say, Kouya. It's getting late, and you're injured too." Risa replied. "You think we should, umm..."

"Stay in here? Hmm... I don't see why not." Said Kouya. "We only have, like, two beds, though."

Risa blushes as soon as she heard Kouya state those words.

"... What's wrong, Risa?" Said Kouya.

"T-That's none of your business, OK...?" Risa replied. "I mean, s-sure..."

Kouya sighs and facepalms.

"How 'bout you, Rock?" Said Kouya.

"Huh? Oh. Sure thing." Rock replied.

"Shiki?" Said Kouya.

Shiki nods in agreement.

"Nina?" Said Kouya.

"Fine..." Nina replied.

"And you, Shisui." Said Kouya.

"... I wouldn't mind." Shisui replied.

"Alright then. It's settled." Said Kouya. "Tonight, we spend the rest of the night here in my place."

-Kouya's Bedroom 10:23 PM-