xlix. A Spy's Goodbye

╔═════════════╗

╔═════════════╗

✧·゚:CHAPTER FORTY-NINE*:·゚✧

╚═════════════╝

✧·゚: *✧·゚:* the parting shot *:·゚✧*:·゚✧
date: March 21st, 2016
location: Zephyr One, Classified.

━━"Bird to Zephyr, painting target. Do you copy?"

"Copy that, Bird," Leith threw a chip into his mouth, lounging in Fitz's chair. Said engineer sat━annoyed━beside him in another chair because he wouldn't move. He typed away at the controls in front of him in the Zephyr. Clara stood next to him, watching over, her thumb pressed to her lips. Bobbi and Hunter had made it all the way to Siberia in their search for Malick, and now here they were to provide back-end. "Target's lit. We're tracking right now."

On the monitor, a red triangle zeroed in on a certain vehicle. Leith threw up another chip and caught it with a crunch. Fitz frowned at him, "This is a serious mission; Bobbi and Hunter are tailing Malick right now."

"This is me serious," Leith argued.

"Leith━" Clara snatched the chip packet away, and he gaped at her in outrage. "Not the time okay? Save these for later. You and Hunter can fight over them over football once they're back."

Leith scoffed after her as she rolled the chip packet up and walked off to find a spot to store it for now, before leaning in closer to Fitz to say, "And she's supposed to be the youngest."

He frowned at him, "You annoy me, you know that?"

"Gladly."

Fitz stared at him for a second, before turning away. When Leith knew he wasn't watching, the grin fell from his face.

This team━when he first saw them; when he was dragged into this team upon fighting Daisy's father, he saw something he wanted to be apart of. He saw a family, a bond where each and every one of them would do anything under the sun for the other. Leith wanted that. He wanted to have a family who would do anything for him; who would dive through a hole in the universe just to get one member back. After just coming back from his own mother locking him away, and framing him for the death of his father he could barely even remember, Leith needed something like that. He needed a family like this.

But the harsh truth hit him sometimes━the realisation of how tight-knit this team was, and how Leith ... he never really fit in with them. He clashed with them, wasn't taken seriously, pushed around like a joke ... and maybe that was his fault, too, because the only way he could keep on going was to keep his head light-hearted. They were his friends, sure. But they weren't family, and that hurt. And maybe if he let them in, like he let Jemma in, they would all be closer ... but Leith wasn't that person.