e l e v e n

May 2016 - September 2016

The first half of Mark's 16th birthday wasn't something Yuta really wanted to remember in the years to come (at least the parts that included Eunji), because his stupid girlfriend decided that she owned him. Who does she think she is? Mark had insisted that everyone should sit down together to eat cake for breakfast, courtesy of Yuta, who ordered an extravagant four tiered chocolate cake just to out do the one from last year. Then they'd watch a film before they went out to play laser tag (another birthday surprise from Yuta, he rented out the whole venue). However, luck was not on their side. Just as the boys got comfortable on the sofa, 8/10 slowly eating their first slice of professionally-baked cake while Mark was on his second and Jungwoo was somehow on his third, Eunji decided to invite herself in. She finished Mark's plate without asking him, by snatching it straight from him as he was eating and ignoring his look of irritation and disbelief. She then packed some extra slices to take home, again without asking. Not that it wasn't Mark's cake or anything,, , but Yuta really felt that it was being wasted on her.

To make things even worse, Eunji decided that actually, Mark shouldn't be able to choose what he wanted to do on his birthday and dragged him out of the door once she deemed him "instagram worthy". She managed to ignore Mark's weak protests and his group's louder ones, eventually convincing him to put on his shoes and leave. Yuta truly believes that she must be delusional, because anyone with any brain function would be able to see that Mark didn't want to go hang out with Eunji's friends at the mall instead of spending the day with his best friends, if his body language and the longing eye connection that the soulmates had were anything to go by.

The dumbfounded boys were just left to gawk at the closed door; a few seconds pass before the room stops being dead silent and they all start talking, at the same time.

"Uhhh"

"What the fuck"

"Yeah, what the fuck just happened?"

"Bitch just took our cake"

"Jungwoo, there is plenty left,, ,"

"Yeah, and? I could have had more"

"She didn't even ask us if we had any plans?"

"She barely said hello, how rude"

"What are we going to do now?"

"We haven't given his presents yet"

"Well, we can't just do all the things as planned without Mark"

"Do you think he will be back before laser tag?"

"I think I'm going to have another slice of cake?"

"I don't think Mark's mum would like her that much"

"Why is he still with her?"

"Exactly, she's pretty but that's all she's got going for her and besides, there are way prettier people out there,, , take Yuta for example"

This snapped Yuta out of his shock. He wasn't pretty. Firstly, he was handsome. Secondly, all of the others were way prettier than him anyway, so why was Yuta being used as the example? Just look at Winwin, Jungwoo, Doyoung, they immediately come to mind when Yuta hears the word "pretty". On the other hand, at least in his opinion, Yuta thinks that Mark is the prettiest, cutest and most wonderful human to grace this earth. The others would just have to take second place.

Hours later, in the early evening, Mark returned home. He looked terrible. Since that morning, Yuta had carefully cut up the cake to store the rest of it in the tiny fridge (which was way too small for 10 people to share) and had been waiting in the living room impatiently for his soulmate to return. Everyone else had quickly given up in waiting by lunch time and had also given up at trying to make Yuta do the same. He'd occupied himself with his phone until it died, then he stared at the wall blankly until Haechan pitied him enough to get a charger. It was all worth it to Yuta, because Mark's face lit up immediately as soon as he saw his hyung waiting for him. At least until his face wasted into a grimace, but joined Yuta on the sofa with a frustrated groan, his body sprawled out and laid his head on the older boy's lap.