t h i r t e e n

Mark's POV

Mark couldn't believe it. He really thought that Yuta had been feeling better, but ever since his birthday, his best friend had been distant. He wasn't outwardly being avoided, he just got the sense that Yuta didn't really want to be around him anymore. For example, Yuta was never in the living room when Mark got home from school anymore, he found any excuse to leave a conversation that involved Mark and never entered Mark's room for cuddles anymore. While Yuta didn't leave when Mark tired to ask what was wrong or if he was feeling okay, he never answered the question properly and never quite looked at Mark in the eye. He was always focused on something else, distancing himself in a way.

Furthermore, when they happened to be in the same room by chance (usually dinner time, when Yuta couldn't feasibly escape), Yuta had an air of resentment and sadness surrounding him. Mark discovered that the amount of glares he received from Yuta rose dramatically when he was on he phone to Eunji. Speaking of his girlfriend, there was something odd going on with her too. She was so smug whenever she came around to the dorms now. To Mark, it seemed like Yuta and Eunji had got into a fight where she won; if she saw Yuta she'd glare at him, daring him to fight back. Yuta would glare right back at her - with a ferocity that if looks could kill, she'd be on the floor - but wouldn't challenge her any further. He would only turn away and left the room if he could.

It was too much of a coincidence that Eunji's and Yuta's behaviour both changed at the same time on the same day, which led Mark to believe that Eunji was the one who was making Yuta miserable. It was all so confusing. On his birthday, very late at night, he'd woken up to a muffled argument happening in the kitchen and a few moments later, Eunji walked back into the room holding a glass of water; she wore the most victorious smile he'd ever seen. At the time, he'd dismissed it, but he realised that it was most likely Eunji and Yuta in the kitchen. What the fuck did she do to his best friend?

Side note, Eunji's moans were weird, like, they were so high pitched?

ʸᵘᵗᵃ ʷᵒᵘˡᵈⁿ'ᵗ ᵐᵒᵃⁿ ˡⁱᵏᵉ ᵗʰᵃᵗ

...

Moving on.

Unsurprisingly, when Mark suggested in the kindest, nicest and least accusatory way possible that she could be the reason that he and his best friend weren't on the best of terms at the moment, she flipped out: she swore at him, left him at the restaurant with the bill, cried and ignored him until he apologised. Mark decided that he would rather not go through that experience again, so he left her alone. He needed that break.

Mark instead wanted to fix things with his best friend because he really badly wanted cuddles,, , and he hated being the big spoon. Yuta was always the best big spoon: he was so warm and so clingy. Well at least he used to be. Screw it. If Yuta can be clingy and extra all the time, then so can he. Yuta may be a little irritated with him, but Mark is determined to get Yuta to love him again.

Yuta's POV

It was going fine. It really was. If Yuta wasn't around Mark, then he wouldn't be as tempted by him. Mark, on the other hand, clearly had different plans. It had only been a couple weeks since Yuta had to start distancing himself, in fear of his secret being revealed. He was so stupid, how could he let that whole thing happen? He shouldn't drink ever again. They wouldn't be in this mess if he decided to keep his shirt on. He'd also be able to freely hate Eunji without worrying about pissing her off too much (and then causing her to ruin his life).

Mark was being super clingy now. Instead of getting the hint, Yuta found that Mark was just making up for how affectionate he usually was. This included:

sitting next to Yuta at every meal timefinding where Yuta was in the dorm and just sat with him, holding onto his armwhenever Yuta tried to leave the room, Mark would grab his leg and wrap around it like a koala until he was sure that Yuta would staybringing Yuta snacks at random timesalerting Yuta that it was time to have dinner by bursting into his room and jumping on top of the older boyasking Yuta to help him with his homework, even if he clearly didn't need it (seriously, who needs help colouring in a biology diagram) but who was he to refuse? hugs, lots of hugs

Yuta would be lying if he wasn't a bit more in love with Mark because of it. He is clearly trying to fix their relationship but he can't say anything; if they were to spend time together then Mark would surely tell Eunji about it. That would be disastrous. His resolve was quickly crumbling though - every time Mark looked up at him with a heartbroken expression when Yuta didn't return one of his hugs, he wanted to give in and shower his soulmate with love and affection again.

A week later, Yuta is lying in bed scrolling through his favourite app ~wattpad~ and reading his favourite fanfiction ship, Yumark. At this point, Yuta felt like he needed wattpad more than he needed food, and reading about the (unfortunately) fictional perfect relationship between him and Mark was second only to the real thing.  He'd just found this really good one and while he was reading the first chapter, Mark flings the door open and jumps on top of him. Out of reflex, he shut his phone off immediately.

"hyuNG!"

"..."

"ITS TIME FOR DINNER! TAEYONG IS COOKING TODAY!"

"..."

Yuta noticed that Mark's smile faltered a little bit when his enthusiasm was only met with silence, but he continued anyway.

"Please? Aren't you hungry?"

"..."

"I'm cold"

"Me too"

Suddenly, a rush of cold air met Yuta's previously warm body. Mark had lifted the covers and then crawled into bed with him. Frick. He was wearing one of Yuta's hoodies again. He knew exactly what he was doing.

"I'm not cold anymore,, , it's weird how cold it is for late August"

"mhm"

Mark snuggles closer to Yuta, maintaining eye contact and holds his hand. Not surprisingly, Yuta's brain short-circuits and his instincts tell him to pull Mark's head into his chest. Mark seemed so surprised that he almost fell off the bed, but since Yuta was holding him, he remained exactly where he was and felt Mark smile into his chest. Mark's arms hesitantly wrap around Yuta, and he only holds the small boy tighter in response. He missed this. Screw Mark's awful girlfriend. Besides, he was sure that Mark had worked out that he'd argued with Eunji and would be smart enough to not talk to her about Yuta anymore.

They ended up peacefully falling asleep, Yuta's head resting on top of Mark's and their legs tangled together. Half an hour later, Taeyong came in to get angry at the two boys but as soon as he saw them, his anger dissipated and a proud smile appeared on his face. Deciding that dinner  wasn't worth ruining their moment, he exited the room, shutting the door as quietly as he could behind him.

Being the responsible mother that he is, he packed up the leftovers for the two boys and told the other members to be mindful of their favourite couple.

Author's note:

Author's note:

Thanks for reading and if you enjoyed, please consider voting and commenting. Also, I didn't think this would ever get past 180 reads, let alone 1800,, , thank you so much. :))

Big thanks to Sugabear2013 for proofreading this chapter :))