f i v e

Mark had a girlfriend. Yuta's heart had been crushed into a million tiny little pieces, he may as well have ripped his heart from his chest and then stomped on it.

Sadly, he had been expecting for this day to come for a while because he'd heard the complaints Mark made when he returned home from school, about how he couldn't walk to his classes without some girl or boy confessing their "love" to him. What the hell? Firstly, Yuta has called dibs so they can't have him. Secondly, they're all like fourteen, what would they know about the intricacies of love? How was it fair that these stupid children thought that they had a chance with HIS soulmate? The sad thing was that they in fact, did have more of a chance with Mark than him.

At least they wouldn't be called a pedophile. The rules did work differently for soulmates but frankly, Yuta didn't agree with them. He would rather die than violate a minor. His feelings for Mark was only genuine love rather than lust (again, that is just gross).

Back to the point, it was a regular Thursday afternoon and he was watching some anime with Winwin in the living room, waiting patiently for Mark to get home. The minutes ticked by, one minute turned into ten, and ten minutes turned into thirty, eventually Mark was a whole hour late. Before Yuta could send out a search party for his precious baby, Mark stumbled through the door. The younger by was smiling so wide that even Yuta's face hurt.

"DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT AGAIN, I WAS SO WORRIED"

"Hyung, I'm like, fourteen now, I think I can handle myself"

Yeah, absolutely not, Yuta retaliated in his head.

"Sure Mark, but why were you so late?"

"Yeah, about that, I was with my girlfriend, Eunji"

"WHAT?"

Taeyong dropped the plate he was holding, Winwin was opening and closing his mouth, probably trying to form words and Yuta personally wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

"Is it really that hard to believe that I have a girlfriend? Ugh, you guys suck."

"YAH! Respect your elders!" Taeyong growled.

"Sorry Tae, but anyways, I'm going to leave now because I promised to call her once I got home"

"Didn't you see her five minutes ago?"

"Yes well, I just miss her so much"

Yuta was going to be sick.

"Mark, you said you had some free time today? I thought we were going to hang out together?"

"Sorry hyung, not anymore. I have a girlfriend now"

Yuta followed Mark to his room.

"Hyung, please get out of my room, I need to face time Eunji."

"You're really ditching me for a girl?"

"Ditching is a harsh word, and I'm sorry that I broke our promise but she's my soulmate"

"You're fourteen."

"I just know, okay? I can feel that we're supposed to be together." Mark huffed.

Obviously, the tattoo on Yuta's chest proved that statement wrong but that didn't mean that he felt any less crappy about it. It was just so painful. He wanted nothing more that to just grab Mark by the shoulders, stare into his beautiful eyes and tell him the truth. That wasn't an option because Mark doesn't and wouldn't ever love him back. Not like he wants him to. Therefore, his only option was to take a deep breath and continue to pretend like they weren't soulmates because Yuta's life goal was to make Mark as happy as he could.

"When did you start dating?"

"Today, at lunch, she confessed to me and started crying when I agreed to go out with her, hyung. She's just so cute and perfect!" Mark gushed, he literally had the universe twinkle in his eyes when he talked about her.

It felt like a punch to the gut. Why couldn't Markie talk about him like that?

"AND I'm going out with her on a date tomorrow too!"

That felt even worse, Mark should stop talking now. Yuta felt even less worthy and loved than usual. How could he not? Eunji was probably stunningly beautiful (she'd have to be if she was going to date Mark), with porcelain skin, a small feminine face and skinny on top of that. Yuta tried to ignore these feelings of envy but he thought about this kind of thing constantly. Now, instead of feeling pure elation when he glanced at Mark, he was flooded with sadness and longing. A bit of desperation too.

If Yuta had to spend the rest of his life alone then he would do it. Without hesitation. Besides, once Mark turns eighteen, he'll learn the truth and be disgusted. He'll never talk to Yuta again, unless he absolutely has to. What if Mark leaves NCT because of him? Maybe, Yuta will make the sacrifice and leave the group. This was Markie's dream, it would be selfish of him not to. His mind made up, Yuta kindly congratulates his soulmate on his new relationship and leaves with a heavy heart.

A/N: Thanks for reading!