A Mother's Love Part 3

Start from the beginning

Aria smiled as Elora and Lia's form disappeared into the shadows of the treelines.

A few stragglers turned their beastly red eyes to Aria.

Aria's heart pounded—fingers dug into the dirt. The pebbles turned to dust in her scared grip. Many had followed Elora, but some remained. The biggest one, a crocodile-like head with a bear body, sprung forward.

A spear pierced the air. The atmosphere swirled around its sharp edge, piercing the reptile's right eye. The beast trashed around, angrily flinging its head. It tore at its face, trying to rid itself of the spear.

Aria took the chance and threw the pebbles at its face, perfectly timing it to blur it's one good eye. Fighting against the weakness that kept her down, she rose, and grabbed the handle of the spear. She pushed, digging it further into the reptile's eyes. The spear zizzled against her skin, stinging her flesh. But yet she still pushed it forward, resisting the electrifying force that wanted to launch her away.

The beast growled in agony before it collapsed at her feet. Aria stumbled backward and looked at her reddened hands.

Elvin appeared next to her, the wind crashing around him. He grabbed the spear, and it quickly retracted into a sword. No lightning, as if it belonged in his hands. And only his.

He extended his hand and screamed, "come on!"

She did not hesitate and grabbed onto it.

Elvin rushed towards where the other had disappeared, but the remaining large beasts blocked their way. They stalked, inching closer.

A fruit fell from the mother tree, rolling at the beasts' feet. Their eyes lost focus of Elvin, and they rushed towards it, each clawing at each other for a single taste. The massive creature threw the smaller ones off its back and devoured it like its life depended on it.

"Fuck!" Elvin cursed.

The juice of the fruits dripped off its jaws. It revered in its essence. Soon its muscles began to crack, the skin splitting open as it grew in size. Blisters boiled on its face, pupils at their centers. Eyes formed, covering its head, like a spider. Its wolf-like body morphed, torso transforming into that of a large ape. It was a beast of nature, all split together, regurgitated as something hideous. Monstrous.

A deep thundering growl made Elvin's eyes turn to the treetop of the mother tree. His large hands grasped Aria's waist, and he placed her in front of him. Just mere inches away. "Stay still and don't move a muscle. I have an idea. When I tell you, grab on to me."

Elvin's muscles flexed. He took a deep breath, and the air around them surged once again. The marking pulsed. The sky darkened above, a large cloud veiling whatever light could sneak by. Lightning sparked throughout his body, pure lightning rippling through.

The sparks of energy teased Aria's skin, stroking her being. Every hair on her body rose in response.

The sky thundered. A cascade of lightning crashed all around. Pure energy striking the ground. Aria stood frozen, trapped between the gentle sizzling of Elvin's skin and the far deadlier thunderbolts that cracked all around. The dust rose forming a cloudy mist, fogging all around it.

Elvin's breath was sharp and hard. Exhaustion was written on his face.

Once the air cleared, the electricity still rippled through the ground. A surge of energy entered the grass and was channeled up to the mother tree's roots. Streaks of light traveled up the hovering trunk. Up above the vine filled treetop, fruits matured, their weight breaking their stem. Plum-red and fleshy blooms rained from the sky, their spiked filled coat splattering on the ground.