Setting The Bait

The night fell like a curtain over the day.

Aria watched the mountainous fortress from the tree lines. Its thick walls made out of hard rock forged by volcanic heat. Armies had tried to breach it, but few managed to even scratch the walls.

There was one way in and one way out.

All afternoon, people trickled through the castle's large and guarded gates. From merchants offering foods and silks to monks bringing scrolls, they all left with fear on their faces. Now in the night, only the guards covered in metal-spiked armor remained.

Past the slits of the enforced gate, there was a carriage decorated in the royal blue and gold of the Alchadian kingdom — much like hers had been. There was no doubt now, Lily was in that god forsake place, and she had to get her out... before it was too late.

Nessa slid a dagger into Aria's dark green boots before tightening the laces, holding it in place. At this point, Aria feared she would stab herself with one of the many hidden blades. There was a small one between her breasts, in each of her boots, and one strapped to her back. She adorned plain fighting leathers from the outside, but underneath, she was armed to the bone.

Commander Elora approached. "Ready?"

"Yes." Aria firmly nodded. Her eyes wandered to Elvin. He stood chatting... well brooding in front of Aaron and Estel. "He thinks this is a bad plan?"

"No." Elora paused. "If he thought so, he would not allow it. He is worried for your safety."

"Are you not?" Aria winked at the commander, only not to focus on how her heart tried to burst out of her chest.

"I trained you well. You won't disappoint me." Aria looked down at the floor. Elora's rough hand slipped behind her neck, pulling her gaze up. "In battle, there is no hesitation. We are warriors and do as we must to protect that which we care for. Be fierce, and we will be here if you need us."

The grass crunched as steps came closer.

"A moment," Elvin's baritone tone rang from behind Aria.

Elora let go of Aria before bowing to the elf prince. Nessa followed suit before they walked towards Aaron and Estel at the tree's edge.

"I keep trying to find arguments why It would be easier for Aaron to infiltrate the fortress."

"It's heavily guarded, and I can go right through the gates. Besides, there could be trouble for your people if the Fae are caught invading a castle in the warring lands."

A displeased grunt rumbled down his chest as two firm hands grasped her waist, pulling her in close. Elvin's silver eyes dulled with resignation. "You must use our bond and call to me if something goes wrong."

"I will." Aria trailed her fingertips up his broad chest; the soft Fae silk bend under her brief touch. She caressed his tensed jaw before placing a soft kiss at the base of his cheek. "It's the simplest plan. Once everyone is sleeping, I will get my sister and make my way to the gates. After Nessa scrambles their mind, we will sneak out. You have nothing to worry about."

"It is my duty to protect my female." Elvin's long finger brushed the bottom of her lip. "You may one day be the fiercest warrior, and still, the sun would not rise for me if I knew you weren't safe."

Aria's entire soul tingled at his words. Their lips brushed. The fear of failure spread through her veins. One simple mistake, and she would never feel him again. Her nails dug into his shirt. She tiptoed to reach him.

Elvin pulled back before her lips claimed his lips. "I won't kiss you goodbye. I await your safe return."

Aria's heart twisted at his silent plea. 'Come back to me.'