A New Kingdom

Aria found herself engulfed in darkness once again. Being passed from soldier to soldier, she was guided through the forest, unaware of the world and magic around her. She listened as the sound beneath her feet turned from grass to pebbles, from pebbles to cement, and, finally, from cement to ceramic.

 She listened as the sound beneath her feet turned from grass to pebbles, from pebbles to cement, and, finally, from cement to ceramic

After a long journey through the forest, the returning soldiers had found their way back home. To the Alchadian Kingdom. They rejoiced at the thought of forgetting the bloodied battlefield, even if for the briefest of time. The warmth of their families, wives, and children always called them back home.

Elvin was glad to return after an extended mission to see his people doing well. He hated the war with every fiber of his being. All the unnecessary bloodshed. It was a gnarling sight to cut another living creature down. Even if it was human. To watch the light of life in their eyes, dim until it became nothing. He had been trained to be a cold and ruthless killer, and despite his skills in battle, he had very little taste for it. After so much loss, he just wanted it to end.

As soon as they walked into the central city, crowds gathered at the streets' edge to welcome their fighters and prince back. But, instead of cheers and praises, the soldiers were met with gasps and stares.

"A human?" An elf woman whispered as she held her child protectively to her chest. The worry was evident in her eyes.

"How dare she wear our soldiers' colors?" A female fairy asked. Navy eyes glared at the human as her wings fluttered with angry disbelief.

Elvin was glad the high fairies were beginning to re-integrate into the kingdom. They shared so many similarities to elves; the pointed ears, the connection to nature, and magical abilities. The only difference was that most high fairies had wings that could sprout from their back. Some could even transform into massive beasts. But their differences had overshadowed what they shared in the past. Elvin tried not to think about how fragile the current peace was and how such minute differences could easily tear them apart. At least, the threat of the humans had quieted things down.

"What is the prince thinking, bringing one in?" A one-legged, white-haired older male elf questioned in disdain. The memory of losing his leg in the war was still fresh in his mind. The war had been worse before. Much more brutal. The once-mighty war between elves and humans had led to a standstill. Yet, the new king seemed to be testing the elves' strength. Sending small bands of human soldiers into the edge of their territory. It was always a slaughter.

The whispered questions kept bouncing through the air as they walked towards the castle at the end of the path. It sat on a hill as tall as a giant. The walls were composed of a mosaic of gold, silver, and the same obsidian colored stone that adorned the cave. It made for quite a sight.

Unlike human kingdoms, which plowed through nature to erect cities. The fae domain bent to the will of nature; its paths were laid out wherever the earth curved. The houses and shops were laid out spatially, some merged with the ground itself, others were overcast by trees that had been nurturing the lands for far longer than the age of the oldest stone in the road. Birds and butterflies, of all color, decorated the air as they visited the flowers that were embedded into every structure. The city itself looked like a living work of art.