A Seal Is Fractured

Morning light shone through the window and fell upon Aria's sleeping face. It glistened against a small stream of drool that dripped down the side of her mouth. It was a blessing to find such deep sleep. The ache that had accumulated in her muscles had finally disappeared with one good night's sleep.

Aria grunted, angry at the light for daring to disturb her sleep. In response, she buried her head deep under the pillow and cursed the sun for its existence. It was easy to get lost in the soft and silky bed sheets that wrapped around her body. Their softness felt like clouds that would rain a gentle shower and erase every discomfort and terrible memory.

"Maria, please close the curtains!" Aria grunted, far too lazy to get up and do it herself. When the door did not open, she tried again louder, "Maria!"

But nothing.

Aria reluctantly pulled her head from beneath the pillow and looked around, ready to scream for her handmaiden once more. Then, the memory of what had occurred over the last few days washed over her like a pail of freezing water—waking her up from her imagined state.

"What's with the screaming, human?" The door to her cage suddenly flung open. Estel and Nessa stood at its entrance in their fierce armor, their hands readied at their swords.

"Ummm," Aria wondered what to say, "nothing, just a bad dream." There was no point in confiding in them. She had forgotten, for the briefest of a second, that she was a prisoner. But, she knew better than to let that happen again.

While Estel just grunted in annoyance, Aria could have sworn she saw some sympathy in Nessa's eyes. A plan began to form in Aria's head. Perhaps, she could gain Nessa's trust for information. Any information that would help her should she need to escape.

"Since you are up, breakfast will be brought up soon. The prince said he would come to collect you once you awoke to take you to the High Sheevra."

"The High Sheevra?"

"Yes, your training begins right away." Nessa walked into the room, and for the first time, Aria noticed the pile of clothes in her hands. "These are yours, should you choose to wear them. More will be given in time, but these should suffice while others are made."

"Thank you," Aria genuinely said.

Nessa's eyes widened slightly in surprise at Aria's gentle tone. She simply gave Aria a nod of acknowledgment and stepped out of the room. The large blue and gold door closed behind them.

Aria rose from the soft bed, the chilled floor under her bare feed. She looked outside her window and wondered how it maintained its tempered temperature despite the warm morning breeze that broke through the opened window.

The first sight of the fae kingdom through those windows took her breath away last night. A warm breeze had blown on her skin as she watched the slumbering trees from her tower. Yet despite the quietness, there was nothing dormant about the wilderness out there. Glimpses of glowing creatures could be seen here and there. Aria couldn't help but think, 'what undiscovered wonders laid out there.'

Aria made her way to the clothes that Nessa had laid on the table and took the soft materials in her hands. A couple of silk dresses, trousers, and two tunics of pale earthly blue and green. A blush burned bright on Aria's face when she noticed a long white dress. It was, revealing, to say the least. Two long cuts made their way down the sides, surely to allow the legs to peek through. The top was made of soft material that molded to the shape of the wearers breast.

The dress was so unlike the structured and rigid clothing she was used to. Aria threw that one to the side. There was no way she would wear that. She would undoubtedly hear her father calling her 'whore' from his grave if she ever dared to put that scrap of a dress on.