A Proposition

An enraged scream was threatening to escape out of Aria's mouth. The reprimand hung on her tongue, waiting to spill out. She wanted to scold the guard for treating her as anything but the princess she was. Yet, doing so would mean revealing her identity. Aria was not one to let her status go to her head, but she hated being mistreated. It left a bitter taste. One that she could not ignore. Years of emotional abuse from her father and brother had made her despise it.

Tired and bruised wrist yanked against the chains that held Aria's hands above her head. Yank. Yank. They barely bulged, but that did little to stop her from trying again. Yank. Yank. It was futile. Yank.

"You never sit still, do you?" Aria recognized Elvin's voice right away. Rawness underlined his tone, nerving Aria's heart. At the same time, it was smooth as silk, calming down that same uneasiness it caused.

"Come to take me to my execution?" Aria spat the words at him bitterly. She refused to show any hesitation. If these brutes would execute her. She would curse them freely and hold her head high as they cut it.

Elvin smirked at her spunkiness and approached her carefully. Despite her bound hands, it was still possible the human would try to kick him. He smirked at the thought.

Elvin paused for a second, admiring the fierceness behind her scolding face. Human women, from what he had heard, were timid and docile. It seemed there was much to still be learned about his enemy.

He slipped the blindfold from Aria's eyes. Silver met rustic caramel. One stared into anger, while the other saw curiosity.

"I have come with a proposition," Elvin spoke. Placing a bulky dark metal key in front of Aria's line of sight. It was not his intention, but it taunted her.

"What would that be?" Aria asked, eyes fixated on the key.

"We require a white magic-user. We will train you in the magical arts, and you will stay here within the confines of the city serving our people."

Aria's mouth gaped open. She could not believe the audacity of the elf. "As if I would agree to be your servant for the rest of my life."

Elvin released a small grunt in displeasure, "the other option is death." He had no desire to force her into any of this, but this was the only option that would keep her alive. "We will not force you, but these are your options. You will have to make a choice."

"That hardly seems like a choice. Indentured servitude or death, I don't think I am quite sure which one is worse." The offer was comical. They wanted her to agree to be their lifelong prisoner.

"We would not mistreat you here. You will be given a bed and food. Guards will be with you at all times to make sure you do not attempt to escape, but otherwise, you will be allowed the freedom to roam the city. Be warned though, the scouts are under strict orders to shoot you down if you stray too far."

Aria contemplated Elvin's words. There really wasn't much of an option. She could always pretend to play along. Just until she found the right time to escape. But what was she running for? To marry a man she did not want to? Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise.

If her sister were not out there, she would jump at the chance. But how could she hide here when her sister might be sent instead of her. Maybe, her brother's threats had been empty; he cared for Lily. So maybe...just maybe, he would not force her to marry such a horrid man. If only there was a way for her to know. To make sure that her sister would be okay, she would gladly stay here as a servant for the rest of her life.

"May I make a request?" Aria asked in a timid voice, intentionally sounding innocent.

"Yes," Elvin was glad she at least was considering his offer.