A Mother's Love Part 3

Aria watched the prince rise like a storm.

His hand reached back, seizing the sword that hung on his back. His powerful muscles flexed as he breathed. As if reacting to him, the wind moved, following his silent command. The ink on his skin began to glow a dark magenta, pulsing against his lightly sun-kissed flesh. It gained a life of its own, whirling around his body in a silent dance.

A growl escaped Elvin's lips, and his neck strained as two sharp magenta stripes extended into his skull, disappearing into his braided hairline. The sharp ink flowed all over his skin, decorating him like a work of art. From the side, Aria could see a large purple slash across his right eye. It turned grey-blue eye into a raging thunderstorm.

He took a single step forward, and the ground trembled under him. He broke into a fast sprint. So fast, Aria could hardly see his individual movements. Fluid like the wind, he appeared next to the beast and slashed his sword across its face. The creature roared in anger and snapped its long talons at Elvin. He flipped back, missing the edge of its claws.

Elvin landed on the floor, the ground grinding under his golden boots. He stood tall, ready to attack again. Estel rushed to his side, sword in hand.

Nessa screamed once again, and Elvin turned towards her. The mother trees roots, attracted by the blood pouring from Nessa's wounds, grew towards her. It craved, the life, the minerals, her essence. The roots threatened to encase and devour her. On the floor, she swung her swords violently at the fine wood, breaking it, before they could reach her.

"Estel, take Nessa and retreat."

"But-"

"That's an order, soldier. I can handle this Orcosk myself."

Estel flashed angry blue eyes at him, annoyed to be sidelined, but reluctantly nodded her head. She sheddeth her sword, ran to Nessa, and picked the bleeding soldier up. They ran out, disappearing into the treelines.

"Come, we must go too," Elora urged.

"What of the prince?" Aria asked.

"He will be fine."

Aria tried once again to get up, but her legs buckled. Elora grunted and wrapped her arm around Aria, pulling her off the ground. The weight of Lia and Aria tugged down on Elora's steps, making them drag against the grassy floor.

The ground tumbled as a sea of large wolf-like beasts appeared. Drool dripped from their canine-like teeth. Their blood-stained red eyes watched their prey.

Aria felt Elora tensed next to her. Her arm went to reach for her sword, but stopped when Aria's stance faltered.

One...two...ten... sharp and deadly jaws waiting to devour them. There was no way— no way to make it around them. Fear shredded through Aria. They would tear them all apart. Unless...

Aria unwrapped Elora's arm from around her. "You have to run. Get Lia out safe."

Elora looked at Aria like she had grown a second head. "I can't leave you behind."

"You can't carry us both and still fight. You have to protect and love Lia, and you can't do that if you are dead. GO!" Aria screamed, shoving Elora away.

Elora looked ready to argue back, but one of the smaller beasts started to prowl forward. Its large teeth bared as acid saliva fell from its crooked mouths.

Elora turned and ran. Her child tightly in her arms. The beast charged forward, its jaws wide open. She wilded her sword and cut through its neck mid-air. Its body fell limp on the floor. More attacked, and she fought them off, one by one, until she broke through their lines and ran past them. Elora stood at the tree line, waiting for the beasts to turn. Once they had their eyes locked on her, she ran with a trail of monstrous creatures following close behind.