Attacked- Eomer

-.-Edited-.-

The hall was full of strategists, representatives, and captains. In front of it all, you sat silently on your throne next to your husband Eomer. Currently, he was talking to Faramir and Eowyn, who came back to Rohan to discuss the alliance with Gondor.

Your presence in the court was out of politeness and respect. You were the queen of Rohan only because of an arranged marriage, so you let your husband take charge of this meeting. (Perhaps if the topic were of something more familiar to what you learned as Lady of Dale, you would participate.)

The day was hot and sunny. You could see heat waves rising over the plains. Despite the doors being open, the wooden hall was stifling. Eager for some air, you excused yourself to walk outside.

You stood in the shade with your back pressed against the carved pillars. You closed your eyes and breathed through your nose. When you opened them, however, you noticed an army appearing from the haze-- and a boulder hurtling toward you.

You dove away as it crashed where you were standing. Wooden splinters rained down around you.

"Rohan is under attack!" you shouted as you shoved yourself up. The scouts started blowing the horns and the Rohirrim ran to the stables. Another boulder soared overhead; it smashed into the castle walls and roof. Wood and stone dropped on you, forcing you back to the ground.

You attempted to move but found that you couldn't. Your head throbbed and you felt something drip down your nose. The pain caused you to go unconscious.

It was a never-ending cycle, waking up and passing out again. The sounds of battle raged around you. You tried calling for help but with no avail. Breathing became hard and you realized that you were slowly suffocating, slowly being crushed under the weight of the broken kingdom.

The next time you woke up, it was to your husband's voice.

"Find the Queen!" he shouted.

"I am here!" It came out no more than a croak. You gasped for a decent breath, the sound was grating and the effort made your chest ache.

You heard movement above you. Soon enough, you felt daylight on your face.

It was a citizen with dust caked onto their skin. "The queen!" she gasped. "It's the queen! She's here!"

Eomer raced to your side and began clawing at the debris around you. He was still dressed in his armor and his face was caked in dust and blood.

"All you alright?"

You opened your mouth but you were unable to speak-- or move the rest of your body. You began to panic, your eyes wide.

"Medic!" Eomer yelled. A couple healers ran over. They assisted in uncovering the rest of your body.

"She's been paralyzed..." One of the medics assessed. He prodded at your side, causing you to flinch and yelp in pain. "Broken rib, too."

The other made eye contact with you. "Concussion," she said. "The queen has a wound that needs immediate attention on her head."

"Can you help her?" your husband asked.

"I am not sure, my King. If she falls unconscious again, there is a chance she may not wake up." They moved you onto a lamb-hide cot and carried you away from the rubble to the infirmary, where the other wounded lie.

Eomer appeared at your side again and held your splintered hand. His eyes were red with unshed tears. You wished you could talk to him but even breathing was proven a challenge. You glanced up at him, hoping that you could convey all he needed to know.

'I love you.'

He shook his head, "I know you can hold on, Y/n." One of the tears fell. He gripped your hand harder. "There is yet so much to do."

You smiled a small smile. You wanted to stay awake, for him, yet you could feel the insistent dizziness that came before you passed out. Your eyes closed.

"Please, try to keep your eyes open." Eomer gently caressed your cheek. "Y/n!"

The king let out a small sob when you didn't respond. He grasped at your wrist but found no pulse. You weren't breathing. He stumbled away from your body, a hand pressed over his mouth. "No... No!"

Happier chapters coming up.