An Alpha's instinct

One thing about being Alphas is that both Dick and Wally were fiercely protective of their mates. Not many people could get close unless the other knew who they were. Sometimes, nobody could get close. They were Alphas, and their job was to keep their mate safe.

Today was one of those days for Dick. He had woken up and decided that he wasn't letting anything touch Wally. Wally knew from the arms around his waist that he wasn't getting a moment alone today. Not that he minded, of course. He loved spending time with Dick.

Throughout the entire day, Dick was always touching Wally somehow. Whether it was holding hands, hugging him, or shielding him from merfolk, he always had contact with him. Wally could sometimes get Dick to calm down, but never for long.

They were up in the tower at the moment, cleaning out old supplies. Dick was sitting next to Wally, his tail wrapped around the other's. Dick was calm at the moment, since they were the only people there. "Look at this, Dickie. This looks pretty old. Wonder if it still works." Wally pulled out a music box.

Dick moved closer, looking at the box. Sometimes when Dick went Alpha, his mental state changed. He was quiet, and he didn't speak in words. He spoke in clicks and whistles, like a dolphin. It was the Alpha Language, which Wally thankfully knew. "What do you think?"

Dick chattered a little. "I agree. Let's see if it works." Wally opened the box to see two small figures, which twirled around. The music tinked softly, playing a melody Wally had never heard before. "It's really pretty. What do you think, Dickie?" Dick purred, wrapping his arms around Wally's chest.

"You want a hug?" Wally smiled. Sometimes Dick couldn't verbalize what he wanted, but Wally could figure it out. This was his Dickie, after all. He turned around, pulling Dick into his lap and petting his head. Dick practically melted, sinking into Wally's chest with a yawn.

"Does the music make you sleepy?" Wally chuckled. He was definitely keeping the music box. Dick nodded, looking up at Wally with those baby blue eyes. He looked too cute. Wally never wanted this moment to end.

Someone knocked on the door, breaking the moment. Dick was immediately on alert, shifting them so Wally was the one being hugged. "It's okay, Dick. You can come in!" Wally whispered the first part, gently rubbing Dick's arm. Dick was growling, trying to curl around Wally like a bubble that could never break.

Bruce opened the door to see the duo. "Hey, B. How's life?" Wally chuckled. Dick kept growling, holding Wally closer. "I see he's having one of those days." Bruce sighed, sitting down at the door. Being an Alpha himself, Bruce's presence challenged Dick and his claim on Wally. At least, it did that day.

"Yeah. He's been pretty calm until now. It's okay, Dickie. He's not challenging you." Wally grabbed Dick's arms, trying to get his attention. Dick was locked on the eldest merman, his teeth bared as he growled. The fins on his tail were glowing, which only happened when he was agitated.

"I'll leave. If you find anything interesting, let me know." "Actually, I did find something. It's this music box. It seemed to help Dick before, so I was wondering if I could bring it to our room. Maybe I can clean it up some." Wally reached over and grabbed it, cranking it up more. The music started playing again, and the figures danced once more.

"I see no problem with that. If it's as old as it looks, it's old owner must have passed by now." "That's what I was thinking." "I'll head out now. Try and calm him down again, please." Bruce left, closing the door behind him. "He's gone now, Dickie. I'm safe."

Dick didn't seem convinced. Although he was no longer growling, his fins were still glowing, and his grip didn't loosen. "D-Alpha, I'm safe. He didn't want to hurt me." Dick clicked a few times. "He left, Dickie. He's not here anymore. I promise, I'm safe now. Here, listen to the music."

Dick did, resting his head on Wally's shoulder. Wally could feel Dick calming down, and could see the blue fin lights slowly fade to the orange of the tower lights. "That's it. I'm safe, Alpha."

Those words had been hard to say at first. He didn't like admitting that his mate was the Alpha in control at the start. Now they were comfortable words, words he could say easily to calm his mate down. They were words that made him feel protected.

Dick sighed, letting Wally sit in front of him and hold his hands. "That's it, Alpha. I'm safe. I'll always be safe with you." Wally smiled. Dick moved one hand and cupped Wally's face, brushing his thumb against his cheek. "Yeah, safe. Not hurt."

Dick nodded, purring as he laid his head against Wally's chest. Wally smiled at the younger, laying down so Dick could get more comfortable. Dick laid on top of him, positioning his head to hear Wally's heartbeat. He had to make sure his mate was okay, and keep him safe.

"Feel better now?" Wally smiled. When Dick wasn't in Protective Alpha mode, he was in Care Alpha mode. Protective was when he needed to keep Wally safe at all costs. Care was when he would step back and let Wally care for him. It was an even pull, a give and take that satisfied both.

Dick nodded, entwining their fingers. He loved Wally so much it hurt. He wanted to be with him every day, protect him every day. He wanted to make sure Wally never got hurt. He loved Wally too much to let him get hurt.

"Let's go through the rest of this stuff, okay? We'll go to the room once we're done." Dick nodded, sitting up and giving Wally his hand. Wally accepted it, and allowed Dick to help him sit up. They both knew on bad days it was better to swallow their pride and let the other help.

There wasn't anything else that interested them up in the tower. They organized what was left, and took the music box to their room. Merfolk moved for the couple, because word traveled fast, and everyone knew today was not the day to anger the Alpha.

Dick relaxed as soon as he closed the door to their room, his posture changing completely. His mate was safe in their room. Nobody could hurt him there. "C'mere, Dickie." Wally beckoned him over, sitting at the window seat. Dick immediately responded, wanting to satisfied his mate's every desire.

Wally chuckled as Dick laid on his chest, practically flinging himself onto the other. "Neptune, I love you." Wally giggled, kissing Dick's forehead. Dick trilled happily, pressing himself into Wally's chest. "L…Love." Dick whispered. "Yeah, that's right! Love. I love you, Dickie." Dick trilled again, nuzzling into Wally. Maybe bad days weren't all that bad.