Closet

Dick had a little space he went whenever he wanted to be alone. It was a closet they didn't use, and he's made it comfortable. There were blankets, pillows, books, snacks, anything he could want. Except for Wally. Wally knew that place was almost sacred to Dick, and didn't bother him when he was in there. Wally often sat outside the closet, waiting for when Dick was ready to face the world.

After a particularly triggering mission, Dick had quickly retreated to his closet. Wally sat outside the closet again, one hand on the wood. He could hear soft sobs from inside the closet.

Wally took a deep breath. "Dickie? I know you don't like talking when you're in there, but are you ok? I just…I need to know you're ok." Wally rested his forehead on the door. "Y-yeah." A quiet voice answered. "Do you want anything? Food, or something to drink?" "No." "Ok. I'm out here if you need anything." No answer. Wally didn't expect one. Two words? That was rare enough.

Wally sighed. Dick didn't go into the closet very often. When he did, it took a while for him to come back out. It could be hours before Dick came back out. Wally often had something for him to eat or drink when he came back out.

Three hours later, Wally knocked on the door. "Dickie? I know I'm bothering you, but can you open the door? I have some water, and it's almost time for dinner. I have Subway." Wally said quietly.  Dick cracked the door. "What's on it?" "Turkey, roast beef, and American cheese on Italian herb and cheese. Didn't know how much you wanted, so I got a foot long. I can slide it in if you want."

Dick opened the door a little more. Wally could see one of Dick's blue eyes, the rims darkened by red. "Here. I've got water, or I can get something different." Wally slid the sandwich into Dick's closet. "Water is fine. Thank you." Dick's voice was quiet still. "It's no problem. Take as much time as you need."

Wally held his hand in front of the crack. Dick grabbed onto it. "I love you, Dickie. I don't care what Deathstroke said. I will never care. I love you." Wally kissed Dick's hand. "I love you too, Wally. I'm sorry I keep hiding, I just…" "I get it. I understand. Take as much time as you need, ok? You'll come out when you're ready." Wally smiled at his husband.

When Wally still lived with his father, he would often hide in a closet. When Ruddy came home, the closet was the one place he never touched. Wally's mother had led him to believe it was cursed. Sometimes Wally didn't get to the closet soon enough, but that was ok now. Ruddy couldn't hurt him anymore.

"You're crying." Dick whispered, opening the door a little more. "Just thinking about my dad. I'm ok." Wally smiled. Dick slid out of the closet and hugged Wally, resting his head on Wally's shoulder. "Then don't think about him. Don't be sad, because sad backwards is das. And das not good." Dick smiled. "Stealing my jokes now?" "Just like your sweatshirts. Did it work?" "It worked." Wally smiled. He loved his husband.