Chapter 28: Unexpected Allies

Chapter 28

"So you're sure that Leslie and Jim aren't too mad about you coming with us for Thanksgiving?" I asked Carly, raising my eyebrows.

Carly nodded.

"Yes. We've been over this." Carly laughed, stretching out her legs in front of her.

"And you don't feel like you're going to throw up anymore?" I asked, giving her a look.

Carly nodded.

"There was something funky with that breakfast sandwich." She laughed. "But I'm okay."

I nodded. "Good."

"Have Brian and your grandma gotten to your house yet?" Carly asked, glancing at the clock that said 10:32 pm.

"Yea, yea they've been there since this afternoon." I replied.

Carly and I were driving the car down to Texas for thanksgiving, she didn't want to fly. While Grandma and Brian flew.

"I'm glad you're done with that stomach bug." I told her with a smile. "I hated seeing you sick... And it was like a month." I laughed.

Carly nodded.

"Yea, yea it was a pretty bad one." She mumbled, looking out of the window.

She rubbed her hands against her stomach, a frown on her face.

"Do you feel like you're going to be sick?" I asked worriedly as I turned onto my street.

"No, no..." Carly sighed, a smile crossing her face as we got out of the car at my house.

"I love Texas. It's so much warmer than Michigan." She laughed, reaching into the truck to get her bag.

"Don't worry I've got that." I smiled, picking it up for her.

Carly gave me a wink as I followed her into the house with all of the bags.

"When's your dad getting home?" Carly asked curiously as I pushed open the door to the house.

"Thursday morning. He's only got like two days off. He's living Friday afternoon I think." I said, not turning on any lights.

"Want a beer?" I asked, opening up the fridge.

Carly looked terrified for a minute as she shook her head.

"You okay?" I frowned, pausing before I opened up the beer.

"Do you ever want kids?" Carly asked curiously, slowly walking towards me.

"Yea absolutely. After college of course." I shrugged, twisting the top off of the bottle.

Carly nodded.

"Like uh, like definitely after college? Or possibly before?" Carly asked, her voice strangely high pitched.

"I mean a kid would get in the way of college ball. Besides, like you're going to Georgetown and I'm going to UT." I laughed, taking a sip of the beer. "Why all these kid questions all of a sudden?"

Carly just shrugged.

"I don't know... I mean we're engaged, and going to get married, I'm just thinking about our future." She mumbled, her eyes shifting around the room.

"Want to go to bed now?" She asked quickly.

I looked down at the beer, then back up at Carly.

"Are you weighing your options?" Carly giggled.

"A, get drunk. B, sleep with super hot girlfriend."

My eyes widened.

"No! No no no not that way." Carly said quickly. "Just sleep. Like eyes closed, dreaming, nothing sexual."