Chapter 9: Definitely Have A Date

Chapter 9

My heart was racing as I walked into the diner. 

And not because I’d just been for a run. 

Because Carly was standing behind the counter, looking down at her phone. 

She looked up expectantly as I walked through the door, but then quickly looked back down at her phone. 

“We’re closed.” She mumbled. 

“The sign says open?” I raised my eyebrows, walking forwards. 

“You have to buy something to sit.” Carly said, not looking up at me. 

I slid a $5 dollar bill across the counter. 

“An ice water and two scrambled eggs please.” I said softly, taking a seat on one of the chairs. 

Carly just nodded, turning around to place the order in. 

“About what my brother said yesterday... I-” 

“I’m going to have to cancel on Thursday.” Carly cut me off, sliding the water towards me. “I’m not going to be one of your little sluts that you apparently think I will be.” She snapped. 

My eyes widened. 

“Brian didn’t know what the hell he was talking about, okay? Yes, Hannah was someone who I used to hang out with over the summer, but she’s also known for exaggerating everything. And yes, I’d just talked to her on the phone, and our conversation mostly consisted of me telling her that there was this really cute girl that I liked despite the fact that she doesn’t understand a thing about football.” I said, my eyes scanning Carly’s face. “And yea maybe she’d intended for the conversation to turn into more but I didn’t do that, because what kind of dick asks a girl out on a date and turns back to a cheerleader.” I raised my eyebrows. 

Carly’s cheeks flushed. 

“If we do go out... I don’t want you to think I’m like one of those girls from wherever the hell you’re from that seems to only care about booze, football, and women.” Carly mumbled. 

“Sums it up enough.” I laughed with a shrug. “But trust me, I don’t think of you like one of those girls.” 

Carly raised her eyebrows at me. 

“So you don’t think I’m sexy?” She asked, leaning against the counter. 

I smirked. “There’s no right way to answer that is there.” I laughed. 

“I think you can figure it out.” Carly winked, turning around to grab my plate of eggs. “Why are you here so early anyways it’s 5:30?” 

“I’ve got conditioning for football in like 20 minutes.” I shrugged. 

“And you ran here?” 

“Yea I’ll run there.” 

“It’s 3 miles away.” 

“Like I said, I’ve got 20 minutes.” I replied with a smile, taking a bite of my eggs. 

“Do you do anything other than workout?” Carly raised her eyebrows. 

“Absolutely.” I nodded. “I do homework. I drink beer. I sleep.” I laughed. 

Carly raised her eyebrows. “Homework? Really?” 

“What! I’m a good student! If you think I’m one of those brainless football players that only knows how to have sex and drink beer... Then you are 50 percent correct. Because yes, I do know how to do those things.” I winked. “But I’m also taking mostly AP and honors. Shocker right?” 

“You don’t strike me as the smart guy.” Carly shrugged. 

“Eh, I don’t know. I’m not the kind of person that brags about school. Sure, I’ll boast about football all day long if you let me. But grades? I feel like that’s not something you can change much and you’re born smart or not.” 

“You don’t think you were born with your football skills?” Carly asked curiously. 

“Well obviously I was born with qualities that assisted me in becoming a great athlete, but I totally couldn’t been like a tennis player or something. Trust me, being the best team in the state took blood, sweat, tears, and a shit load of bruises and ice baths.” I laughed. 

“You think the Hawks got any potential?” Carly raised her eyebrows. 

“I think they have potential to be great. But I don’t think they’ve got the right determination. I don’t think they’d be able to get to the level that it takes to win states. Although, I’m not really sure the level of football in the rest of Michigan.” I shrugged, taking the last bite of my eggs. 

“You said you’re going to Texas soon...” Carly said, taking my plate away. “If our date goes well, and you want to spend more time with me, maybe you’d have room for a stow-away? I’d love to see somewhere other than Michigan.” 

I laughed. “I mean totally, if your parents say okay.” 

Carly’s face fell for a minute. “That won’t be a problem.” She replied with a shrug. “I’m in a foster home.” She added softer. 

I frowned. “Oh... Well then I guess if your foster parents are cool with it?” I suggested. 

Carly just nodded, glancing up at me again. 

“Well go, you’re going to be late for conditioning. Don’t get it trouble!” She called as I got up from the seat. 

“See you in homeroom.” I waved over my shoulder before beginning to jog towards the school. 

I got there at 6:02. 

Eggs for breakfast was not the best idea. 

“And where were you?” Coach Samuels raised his eyebrows. 

“I went for a run and lost track of time sorry.” I replied, quickly joining in on stretching. 

“You already went for a run?” He asked in shock. 

“Well yea. I run every morning except for Saturdays.” I nodded. 

Coach Samuels looked impressed. 

“You can sit out today.” He told me with a nod, looking around the circle. “Once the rest of you start showing the sort of dedication that Jason Charleston shows to his fitness, we won’t have so many early morning conditioning sessions.” 

“I thought it was to find out who was drinking?” Someone asked. 

“That has been resolved. You boys are now here for the sole purpose of getting better and better and football.”

~*~*~

“Why’s Carly in a foster home?” I asked my Grandma as Brian and I helped her clear the dishes. 

My grandma sighed. “Her mother passed away when Carly was born, her father drank himself to death a few months later, Carly’s been in a foster home ever since. She’s been here for about a year now. She hates it, but she spends time around here. And I could use the help, so I’m not complaining. Why?” 

“Well no I was just thinking she could come to Texas with us when we go.” I shrugged, looking at my Grandma to see how she took that. 

She smiled. 

“That girl has the hots for you. It’s adorable.” Grandma laughed. “The way she looks at you... Honey I haven’t seen that look since your mother.” 

I felt like a brick wall had been sliced through my chest as I slowly set the dishes down on the sink. 

“I’ll be upstairs.” I muttered, pushing my fingers through my hair as I walked towards the stairs. 

“Did I say something?” Grandma asked softly to Brian. 

“Sensitive subject.” Brian explained as I slowly walked towards my room. 

Where’s a nice cold beer when you need one? Two? Three?