Chapter 7: A Phone Call

Chapter 7

“Well it was extremely fun watching the game with you, but now I do actually have to go...” Carly said as she stood up from the couch. 

I smiled at her as she tucked her short blonde hair behind her hair, her eyes landing on mine. 

“Although, I’m going out with like Hank, Nolan, Buddy, and two of my other friends, if you guys want to come?” Carly suggested. 

“I have a Skype date with my girlfriend, but I’m sure Jason would love to.” Brian said as he stood up as well. 

I shot him a look as he headed towards the stairs. 

“That would be fine if you went out, honey. I’m going to be getting ready for my card game tomorrow anyways, a few of the ladies are coming over.” Grandma told me as she stood up from her seat on the couch. 

“Sure.” I said to Carly. “But I thought Hank and them went to the Michigan game?” I asked, watching as my grandma went into the kitchen. 

Carly nodded. “They’re back now. We’re heading to Nolan’s house, they’re all there. They’ve got a fire pit out back.” 

“Let’s go.” I smiled. “Should I follow you in your car or?” 

Her cheeks flushed pink. 

“Oh uh, I rode my bike here.” She said, looking down at the ground. 

“I’ll drive you then, my dad left his truck here while he’s gone.” I smiled, picking up the keys off of the counter. “Bye Grandma.” I added. 

“Bye honey, have fun!” 

I laughed as we walked outside. 

“It’s so different living here with her compared to at home with dad.” I laughed, unlocking the car. 

“What was Texas like?” Carly asked curiously, both of us getting into the car. 

“So far, a lot better than here.” I admitted with a shrug. “You ever been there?” 

She shook her head. “I’ve never been outside of Michigan.” Carly said, biting her lip. 

“Really? You’ve got to see Texas sometime. Especially Allison, that’s where I’m from. Gosh it’s amazing. The road that leads right into town is just open land for like three miles, all fields and pastures. It’s the best on Sunday mornings before church when Brian and I usually go for a run, and the sunrise is absolutely gorgeous. And football season is the best time of the year, because towards the end, when we get closer and closer to playoffs, the weather cools off and everyone’s at the games and the tailgates and the parties, but it’s still warm enough for a nice cold beer any time of day. Besides, football season is the best because it’s football obviously.” I laughed, pulling out of the driveway. 

“Is underage drinking a big thing in the south?” Carly asked curiously, her eyes on me. 

I shrugged. 

“I don’t know really. I mean at least in Allison, it’s pretty normal and no one really cares if you have a beer or two.” I shrugged, resting one hand on the steering wheel. 

“Your brother said you were hungover this morning?” Carly raised her eyebrows. 

I laughed, shaking my head. “Nah I wasn’t this morning. I was just tired as hell. Last night’s game was stressful. What about your crowd? Like Hank and the guys, do they drink?” 

Carly shook her head. “Not much.” She shook her head. “No one really drinks around here. Especially Hank, the thought of him drunk.” She laughed, looking out of the window.