Chapter 1: Sunday Mornings

Chapter 1

“Can you run any slower?” I called over my shoulder at my brother as he trailed behind me on the never ending road. 

Brian just glared at me, speeding up a bit to catch up to me. 

“There hasn’t been a car in ages.” He panted, wiping sweat off of his forehead. 

I rolled my eyes. “It’s a Sunday afternoon.” I said, making sure to stay a step in front of him to keep him going. “And there’s one now.” I said, pointing up the road as the sheriff’s car approached a way’s down. 

“Great game Friday night, boys.” Henry said, rolling down his window as he approached us. 

“Thanks sir.” Brian grinned, giving him a nod. Henry put his car into reverse, driving along side us as we continued our run. 

“You guys bring home state’s now, you hear?” Henry said, raising his eyebrows. 

“Absolutely sir.” I nodded. 

“No doubt about it.” Brian agreed, his breath getting more and more labored. 

“I’ll see you two fellas around. Tell your old man I said hi.” Henry smiled before driving forwards and away from us again. 

Brian let out a groan, coming to a halt as he put his hands on his knees. 

“I can’t do this.” He shook his head, wincing as he took a breath. 

I rested my hands on top of my head, walking in small circles while Brian tried to breathe. 

“Come on, just one more mile and you’ll be fine.” I said, patting his back. 

“We’ve already done 5.” Brian groaned, standing up to his full height. 

Sweat was pouring down both of our bodies. It had to be at least 90 degrees outside, not even counting the sun that was beating down on us. 

“Just give me a minute.” Brian said, resting his hands behind his head. 

I stretched out my hip while I waited for my brother to catch his breath. 

He’d been tested for asthma and every other possible breathing complications one could have, but everything was negative. No matter how much he trained, he always reached a certain point that he couldn’t breathe. And it was random too. He could be fine for a whole month, and then all of a sudden we start a run and we barely get down the block before he’s doubled over panting like a dog. 

“Your hip bugging you?” Brian raised his eyebrows as I rotated the joint. 

“Not too bad.” I shook my head. “You ready?” 

Brian nodded, taking a deep breath. 

We fell into step again, resuming our jog down the bare road. 

“Doesn’t get any more Texas than this, man.” Brian commented, glancing at a few cows grazing in a field. 

I looked out along the horizon, and the faint silhouette of our town, Allison, shimmering in the intense August heat. 

We didn’t talk for the rest of our run. 

Our dad was sitting at the kitchen table with our coach, in a very intense conversation. 

“Hey boys, how we doing today?” Coach asked as we walked in through the back door. 

“6 miles.” I said proudly, opening up the fridge to grab a gatorade.