226-230

226
Nian Nian’s Embroidery

In You Nian Pavilion sat three beautiful women, all lowering their heads doing something.

“Nian’er, you’re wrong again!” Hua Mu Qing speechlessly gaped at the pouch in Lan You Nian’s hand. She always thought she wasn’t good at these things, but seeing Lan You Nian’s embroidery, Hua Mu Qing felt her embroidery was so much better.

Yue Bai Lian put down the outer robes she was making for Feng Xia Qi and picked up the pouch Lan You Nian had thrown down an nth number of times, forcing back a giggle as she said, “This one is much better than the last. Nian’er shouldn’t be discouraged. You can fix it with more care!”

Lan You Nian wailed as she picked up the tragic-looking pouch. Because she wanted to embroider a pouch for Feng Yi Xuan, she dragged Hua Mu Qing and Yue Bai Lian over so she won’t be so lonely. But Lan You Nian didn’t expect her embroidery work was the worst of all three. Even Hua Mu Qing’s embroidery work was several times better than hers.

“Why is it so hard?” Lan You Nian looked at her embroidered pouch and compared it to the embroidery of Yue Bai Lian. This simply couldn’t be seen alright? How can she gift this to Feng Yi Xuan? This pouch was to be worn on the waist. If others saw Feng Yi Xuan wearing such a bizarre pouch, Ming wang’s face would be totally humiliated.

Yue Bai Lian was about to have Lan You Nian practice some more but when she saw the holes poked by needles in Lan You Nian’s fingertips, she didn’t feel good inside. She was clearly a cold and apathetic girl but she was willing to do these things for the man she put in her heart. Yue Bai Lian felt such a Lan You Nian made people’s heart ache.

“Nian’er, you are already doing very well. Look at your injuries!” Yue Bai Lian said and took out an ointment. Hua Mu Qing thoughtlessly took a look at Lan You Nian’s hands, and felt blame seeing the pinpricks. For them, Lan You Nian was already the best, whether or not she can do these things. For some reason, everyone’s feelings toward Lan You Nian was that towards a little sister who needed protection. Hence, everyone was willing to indulge her.

Lan You Nian saw it was becoming late outside and feared Feng Yi Xuan will come back early and had Lan Qu put the things away. She put her fingers on the table allowing Yue Bai Lian to apply the ointment. She felt Yue Bai Lian was becoming more and more of a virtuous wife and mother, despite not being a mother yet.

What Lan You Nian was unaware was that every time Yue Bai Lian came back from You Nian Pavilion, she and Feng Xia Qi would always talk about Lan You Nian that day. Their hearts were full. Though they have already married, their thoughts haven’t changed at all.

“Oh right, Nian’er, I noticed there seems to be something slightly off with the Old Madame!” Hua Mu Qing said curiously. Ever since Hua Mu Qing married into Lan manor, Lan You Nian had Hua Mu Qing manage the entire Lan manor’s residence, for this was Hua Mu Qing’s home. To their delight, though Hua Mu Qing had a rambunctious temper, there was nothing to pick out from her management. After entering Lan manor, with Uncle Lan’s help, Lan manor was managed very well. Hence, Hua Mu Qing would be the first to know if there was something strange with Old Madame.

Lan You Nian looked at the fingers that were rubbed with ointment, feeling much cooler and the pain from the pinpricks were feeling much better. Unconcerned, she asked, “Oh? What’s strange?” To speak the truth, Lan You Nian didn’t take Old Madame seriously. Hence why she kept her alive. But it seems this Old Madame was feeling restless. She just didn’t know what was the cause.

“Previously, because of you, Old Madame never steps out of her courtyard but not only Old Madame comes out of her courtyard, she goes to drink tea with those matrons from ministerial families. More importantly, Old Madame invites some madams and young ladies to Lan manor. I can’t find an excuse to stop her so I allowed Old Madame to do so. From the looks of it, there’s nothing wrong with Old Madame but I keep feeling something’s wrong!” Hua Mu Qing said. She was aware that this Old Madame wasn’t a good person. The current Lan manor was harmonious, besides that Old Madame.