Chapter Forty-Four: One Last Night

News of the attack on Azul filtered through day by day. It had been costly, yes, but it could have been worse. Lysandra was gone for long periods, sometimes overnight, trying to find a way to get her out. Every time she returned she came back with worse news.

With Lysandra away, Maia spent as much time as she could with Aaron. She knew it was reckless; the discussion about her past, even veiled as it was had been, was reckless. But she couldn't stop, nor did she want to. He had become a friend, and a dear one. And there was no guilt hanging over her anymore. Aaron was fighting against his mother's tyranny—in a small way, yes, but he was still fighting. Helping people.

He was a good man, Maia realised. The sort that she'd never have expected to find among such a family.

Just as she thought this, Lysandra strutted into the room, grinning like a cat. Maia shivered. What had the princess come up with now?

"You're leaving. Tomorrow." Lysandra announced.

"Lysandra, I'm sorry but I don't really have anywhere else to go—"

"No, silly. I'm getting you out of the city. Tomorrow night. I've spoken with Taryn—"

"Taryn Gold?" Maia said, goggling at her.

"Yes, she helped me get the soldiers to you ungrateful rebels, bless her soul, and now we're very good friends. The point is she can get people out of here. She's found a route and some bribable guards and Mother is finally relaxing some of the restrictions so now she can help you escape! There's a masquerade tomorrow night in Scarlett Square. It's an annual event and ridiculously boring—most nobles don't even bother attending, and someone like myself wouldn't be seen dead there—but Taryn's agreed to meet us there because we can all come masked. Then she can take you off my hands and you can see your useless sister again."

"Are you sure this is safe?" Maia said, biting her lip. "Can't we work through a rebel? Taryn Gold is...not exactly reliable."

"Don't be silly," Lysandra sighed. "Besides, we're running out of time. Your illusion is beginning to fray, isn't it?"

Maia swallowed. "It was only meant to last a few days, and now...it's been weeks. Has it started to flicker then?"

"Yes," Lysandra admitted. "Little things. Your eyes look purple in some lights, your hair sometimes turns white...we have to act quickly. If you don't have the illusion anymore, even I can't protect you."

"Okay," Maia said at last. "I'll be there."

"You most certainly will be there," Lysandra groused. "I'm escorting you."

She should be happy. She should be over the moon at the thought of escaping the Marble Palace and the city searching for her—not to mention seeing her sister and aunt again. She was about to free. She was about to reunite with her family, her friends. She was about to go back to the only home she had anymore.

But deep down inside her, she only felt miserable. Once she walked out of the Marble Palace, she would never see Aaron again. And if she did...

It would be as his enemy.

————————————————

When she walked up to Aaron's room, there was a lump in her throat and her heart was heavy. She missed her sister. She really did. Leaving her again after they'd so recently reunited had torn out a piece of her. But...

Aaron was her friend. She'd miss the long afternoons with him. She'd miss the opportunity to learn that these weeks had given her. Elena above, she'd even miss Lysandra's grousing.