Chapter Thirty-Two: Aunt & Nephew

Jasper's utter joy at seeing Myra again-at having her Name-was only matched by his growing dread at meeting two particular people in the camp. Specifically, his aunt and Myra's daughter. He wasn't sure who he was afraid of more and as he was introduced to Kestra by her mother, he felt suddenly tempted to run.

It felt extremely strange talking to the daughter of his girlfriend when that daughter happened to be only five years his junior.

"For the last time, Jasper, it isn't weird. As soon as you reach eighteen, age gets really fluid. Besides, I told you, I'm twenty in all but actual age. I feel twenty, I look twenty, I am twenty. Me being with you is totally normal compared to some of the age gaps you see. One of the elves is married to someone who has centuries on them, which is the equivalent of a decade for us." Jasper gaped at her. "Look, trust me. It's only weird if you make it weird."

"It's already weird."

"Jasper, you're immortal now. And nothing in the world makes me happier than that. I was always terrified of the moment you and Nala would grow old and die. But you need to understand a little more about the immortal world. It's not weird. That is your mantra now, okay? It's not weird. Now go and meet my daughter."

"Do I have to?" He whined.

"Yes. Don't worry. She doesn't bite. Much."
————————————————
"So you're the one," Kestra said, narrowing her eyes.

"Yes," Jasper squeaked.

"I expected him to be taller." She said, then directed her full gaze on Jasper. "When are you going to marry her?" He choked.

"I would have planned my wedding to your mother already if I thought she'd say yes." He said as honestly as he could.

"Hmpf," Kestra replied, then turned to Myra. "Well?" Now it was Myra's turn to choke.

"We're both quite young," Myra stammered. "And it's the middle of a war and I don't think a wedding in a cave or on a battlefield is-"

"I would marry you in a mosquito-infested swamp with five seconds to the end of the world." Jasper blurted. Kestra narrowed her eyes at him.

"You have my permission to continue dating her. Continue, mother."

"We're both very young and it's not the best time," Myra finished weakly.

"So you don't want to marry him," Kestra smirked.

"No. I mean not yet. I—um—I've only known him for a total of a few months and we haven't seen each for five years, I—"

"I think what Myra's trying to say is that it's not the right time and there's no rush." Jasper said quickly. Kestra narrowed her eyes at them again.

"That went both better and worse than I expected." Myra reflected after they'd escaped. "Better because she seemed to like you and worse because of all her questions."

"She is terrifying," Jasper agreed. "Absolutely terrifying."

"About people you've been avoiding—" Myra began.