Prologue One: Myra

Myra Isidore, the War Queen of the Valkyries, the Dragon, the Heir of Sarai, the mother of Kestra Isidore and one of the last valkyrie warriors left on the earth had journeyed from the mountains of her homeland, through the ruined isthmus and into the desert kingdom of her enemy in chains. She had journeyed beside the Elfin Queen of legend, the Singer that she had long feared.

And amongst their camp walked her dead, and their killer. Empress Medea of Kallias, of Asriel and her beloved Miras.

Myra knew that if she had looked, she would have seen Jasper Merson amongst the many marching her into the depths of Dorgon. Jasper Merson, who she had loved and hated, Jasper Merson who had she had given her heart to-and who had spat in her face in return.

As the War Queen of the Valkyries walked proudly to her doom, the great goddess Sarai watched her from the skies and wept. Rain fell from the sky like a plummeting flood, and Myra and Layla, the two chained queens, knew that their goddesses mourned for them and the kingdoms lost.Distantly, the sea crashed with roaring fury. It might have been Kallian seas, but like all the wild and raging oceans, it belonged to the valkyries. The travelling party watched in horror as the seas began to rampage through the Empire. A flood lashed against the Lost Continent and the coastal cities were only saved by their high walls.

This, Myra knew, was the last message of her beloved sea to its beloved queen.

It would condone. It would not accept. It would roar its fury to the Empress, a roar to match the ones from the snow leopard form the Empress wouldn't allow her to wear.

The flood stayed within the land for days and days. When it at last retreated, the seas were poisoned and the fish within them dead.

And the legends whisper of a place where the seawater is clear and free of toxins, of a river where the fish swim free.

And as Myra Isidore was dragged into the dungeons of Dorgon, she remembered the protest of the seas and struggled for the last time against her guards. Not for freedom-but for a chance to see the sunlight again.

She whirled around, struggling against her binding and caught one last glimpse- a sliver of sunlight as the doors of Dorgon closed with a heavy thud.

As they dragged her into the darkness, she made a promise to herself, to her dead, to the darkness and to the sea:

They would all pay for what they had done to her people.