Chapter Fourteen: Beth & Mirabell

The healers were shaken. Exhausted, by the travel and the years of Draining. Most of them didn't think it was real. Either believed they were dreaming, or that this was all a trick.

"Hello," she said softly, approaching one of them. The one with scars that left a ruin of her face. She didn't have to guess that what had been done to her was no accident. Even in the mountains, she had seen plenty of the brutality to her people. The healer might have stolen something to compensate for a starving family's poor rations.

Or maybe she'd just looked at an officer wrong.

"Where's my sister?" She asked, her eyes distant. "Where is she?"

"What was her name?" Kestra replied kindly. "I might know her."

"Mirabell Thomas. Her name is Mirabell Thomas."

"Where did you last see her?" She asked, and almost winced. Like Mirabell was a pair of glasses that the healer had misplaced.

"The soldier took her away," the healer muttered. "He said she was a spy." Finally, the name came back to Kestra. Mirabell had been working for them in Veron. She hadn't known she had a sister. Hadn't even considered it.

"Mirabell's dead, isn't she?" The healer asked. Kestra didn't have the strength to deny it.

"It's your fault!" She screamed. "It's your fault. You turned her into a spy. You made her fight back. You, with all your pretty notions about freedom. There's no point. We're not going to win. There's no point in fighting. You killed her! You killed her!"

Suddenly the healer was reaching for her throat. Kestra backed away. One of the valkyries gave her a wary look. She could see the question reflecting in her eyes: should we restrain her? Kestra shook her head in silent answer, turning back to the healer.

"Mirabell was a very brave woman," she said gently. "She was a hero. No one made her do what she did. It may not seem like we have hope. But we do."

"No, we don't," the woman yelled. "We don't have hope! You made Mirabell die for your pointless cause, and now you want me to heal for you. You're no different from the Kallians. What about everyone else in those facilities? They're not important. They don't help the cause."

"The Elfin Queen is alive," Kestra said desperately. It was the only thing that gave the elves hope. "Layla Elenith lives. There is still hope."

"You're a liar," the healer hissed. "You're a liar! I'll never trust a valkyrie."

"Did you trust your sister?" Kestra asked. "Did you trust Mirabell?"

"Yes," the healer said uncertainly. Fearing a trap. After what her life had been for the past five years, Kestra couldn't blame her.

"Do you think she would throw her life away for a hopeless cause? Do you think she would have wanted you to help us? Mirabell believed in hope. She believed in the Elfin Queen."

"I-"

"Your sister was brave. She was strong. She fought for you. She wanted you to live. Mirabell believed in a world where you were safe."

Kestra lay a hand on the elf's shoulder. "You may not trust me. But you trust her, don't you?"

"Yes," the woman held back tears.

"What's your name?"

"Beth," she said softly.

"Beth," Kestra repeated. "Beth, I promise you I will continue what your sister fought for. I will free your Queen."

"Mirabell had two little boys," Beth said softly. "Will you save them, too?"

"I will, Beth. I promise you a world where they will be safe.'