62~ Old Terror

Jimin and I were both flung in our seats violently as a shockwave from the explosion slammed into the car, sending it reeling to the side. The chauffeur managed to get the car back under control and hit the breaks seconds before the vehicle hit the curb.

I wasn't in the car anymore. I was in the hallways of the base, being slammed into the wall by Purists. Loud shattering bangs of guns cleaved through the air, making my ears ring and heart slamming.

With mental strength I never knew I possessed, I shoved the flashbacks away from me and blinked into then present.

The driver was yelling, though whether he was yelling at us or something else I didn't know. Nor did I care when Jimin yanked off his seatbelt and then slammed open the car door, stumbling out.

"Jimin—wait!" My fumbling fingers managed to unbuckle my own belt and I scrambled after him.

I staggered out of the car and onto the streets at the same time the door to the second car several yards away flung open and Tzuyu and Krys spilled out followed by other trainers that had been riding with us.

Pedestrians on the street gaped at the exploded car. Some idiots had begun pulling out their phones to video the thing rather than call emergency services, or better yet, start running away.

"What the hell happened?!" Krys shrieked at me.

Jimin was running towards the now burning car when I caught sight of them. A group of perhaps twenty white uniformed people. Running towards us. Arsenal lifted.

"PURISTS!" I screamed just as gunshots exploded all around us. I dove for cover behind my car as bullets whizzed dangerously past me.

The pedestrians along the street dissolved into chaos. Everyone began shoving each other, trying to scatter in a swarm of screams and crying. Cars blared their horns and screech of tires erupted in the air as several panicked pedestrians blindly ran out into the street.

This was exactly like my nightmares. Peace and tranquility one second only to be shattered by a surprise attack by the Reformists. Except, this time it wasn't a dream. It wasn't a nightmare. It was actually happening.

Why the hell were they attacking us? Today was their surrender! There was supposed to be no more attacks!

"Miss Hwang! Miss Hwang Jiyeon!!"

I turned just as the driver of my car stumbled out. He hurled something at me, low on the ground. A handgun.

Adrenaline surged through me. My hands closed down on the deadly metal. On cue my emotions went familiarly numb. No fear. No horror. Just one grim, determined goal: eliminate the enemy.

 I launched myself over the hood of the car I'd been sheltering under. Two Purists appeared a few feet away. Time slowed. I deftly aimed and pulled the trigger. Once. Recoil. Click. Aim. Twice.

I landed on the opposite side of the car as the Reformists slumped to the ground. I snatched a gun that had skittered out of one one of the Reformist's hands.

Then Krys was beside me. Her heels long gone. She snatched the gun from the second Reformist's hands. We exchanged one, knowing look to each other. And then we launched ourselves where several trainers were locked in combat with the majority of the attacking Purists.

I didn't care I was wearing a dress. My skirts flew up as I swung a kick into the back of a Reformist who had one of the trainers pinned. The white-uniformed enemy stumbled, and that was all the trainer needed to recover and relaunch into a deadly attack and dispatch the Reformist.

I wheeled around, quickly taking in my surroundings as well as searching for a certain silver head whom I'd lost at the very beginning.

There!