8~ Overstayed

I blinked, mind reeling. "What?"

"There's no way we're going to let our daughter live under the same roof of an alien," Dad stated all too calmly. "We were already against you homing with one. But now we won't allow it. I'll face the officials myself if they get on our case for breaking Order #327."

I glanced over at Jimin. He was still staring at the now black screen tensely.

I had just started getting to know him. I'd been sure that it was going to be the worst living with someone I'd had the most awkward encounter ever with. But he'd been so light about it, and in just the few hours we'd had I found myself already drawn to him.

I turned back to my parents slowly. "I'm not going anywhere with you guys."

"What?" My mom gaped. Dad just narrowed his eyes. "Jiyeon you have to!"

"Actually no I don't." I crossed my arms, resolve setting in me like an iron bar. "I'm 18 years old and of legal age to make my own decisions. You can't force me to do anything."

"You would rather stay with this creature than with your own family?"

"First of all, he has a name. It's Park Jimin. Second, I'm very embarrassed of my 'family' at the moment." I met both their furious gazes levelly. "You guys are absolutely shameless and so quick in pointing fingers and throwing some heavy, and false, accusations."

"Hwang Jiyeon." Mom made a move to grab my arm but this time I was the one who easily pulled away.

I took several steps back, away from my parents. My feet slid across the floor and I had to stop before I completely wiped out. The last thing I wanted was trying to metaphorically put my foot down with my physical butt ungracefully on the ground.

"I'm glad you two are going back to your home. Because this is my home for the next sixth months. And you two have overstayed your welcome in my house."

Mom began to step forward again but Dad's hand flashed out, holding her back. "Let's go honey. There's no reasoning with our daughter."

"But... but..." Mom's eyes snapped between me, Jimin— who was now watching everything quietly—, and then my dad. "We can't leave her here with... that." She glanced pointedly at Jimin.

A fresh wave of hot blood coursed through me and I clenched my jaw. "Leave."

"She'll come around and see our side soon enough," Dad murmured to Mom.

Mom pursed her lips and finally let Dad pull her away towards the door. She fired one final glare at Jimin. "If you hurt our girl or even lay a single alien finger on her you will regret it!" She yelled at him.

Jimin didn't even flinch.

Then they were gone.

The front door slammed as they left. A few moments later the sound of a car engine rumbled to life before driving away.

I released a long breath and sagged a little. What on earth just happened?

"Why would you defy your parents for me?" Jimin frowned, turning his gave towards me.

"Didn't you hear the ugly words coming from their mouths?" I demanded. "Why would you just stand there and let them say such horrendous stuff?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "I'm used to it."

"What?"

"I told you, partner. Your parents are just one of many humans out there angry at us for infiltrating your planet and making a home among you." Jimin's face held no hint of anger. I couldn't believe he was so calm about this. "We hear that sort of stuff all the time."