31~ Possessive

The city sidewalks were packed, as usual, by beings. The skyscrapers rose all around us, all of them lit up like beacons in the night sky. I could just make out a dark tower that had once been the Infinity Council headquarters. But now the sleek tower was unlit and closed down until further notice. Apparently the Infinity Council had temporarily moved their quarters to a southern city close to former Busan.

Jimin's hand was tight on mine as we wove through the crowds.

Nervousness as well as excitement at the prospect of meeting Jimin's friends thrummed through m e. I knew I'd technically seen all of them a little bit ago, but everything had been so chaotic back then.

Jimin lead us to a cute, warmly lit restaurant. It had a cozy, rustic interior with wooden tables and floors and dark red booths and chairs. Contemporary art hung on the walls, and mounted above a roaring gas fireplace was an impressive set of antlers. The minute we entered the smell of cooking meats and vegetables filled my senses and made my mouth immediately water.

The restaurant was small, as most city restaurants were, so it was easy to scan the area to see if there was a group of six Outworlders somewhere. It was warmer inside and I immediately shrugged off my jacket.

Jimin did the same, tugging off his jacket to reveal the elegant navy blue turtleneck underneath. A part of me wondered if he'd chosen a turtleneck not so much as fashion but rather to hide his Marks in the tense time we were currently in. The single silver Mark curled traitorously across his cheek nevertheless.

"I don't think they're here yet," Jimin declared after swiftly scanning the area. He pulled out his phone and I caught a glimpse of him texting what looked to be a groupchat.

A hostess stepped up. I didn't miss the wary look she shot Jimin and the puzzled look she shot me. As if she couldn't understand why I was with him.

A rebellious streak entered me and without thinking I moved closer Jimin and wrapped my arms around his tightly so that there was no doubt why I was with him.

The hostess' eyes widened slightly before darkening in understanding. I could just hear what was going through her mind. Alien sympathizer. Scum.

I pursed my mouth and met her gaze levelly.

Despite the delicate balance tipping precariously between us the hostess politely asked how many we were to expect.

"There are six others," Jimin replied, completely oblivious to the exchange that had just occurred. He shoved the phone into his pocket and covered my hand with his, turning to me. "The crew is on their way right now," he told me. "They wanted to drop their stuff off in the hotel before coming."

I tilted my head up at him, conscious of the hostess' sharp eyes penetrating my skull. I put on my most brilliant of smiles. "Perfect."

The hostess lead us to a long table pushed against the far wall of the restaurant. I didn't miss how the table was conveniently isolated from the rest of the tables.

Jimin and I were just settling down when someone called his name. Actually, more like several people called his name.

A group of tall young men were swaggering up to our table, brilliant smiles and excitement painted on all their faces. So much different than when they'd burst into our house with grim and even fear-filled expressions carrying their injured companion between their arms.

My eyes for whatever reason immediately zeroed in on the bronze Marked Outworlder. Hoseok wasn't it? His skin was now a healthy golden glow and wasn't covered in blood. A sweet heart shaped smile parted his lips and soon I found myself unconsciously smiling back.