forty

"I feel bad for not going to school today." I told Adam.

"I don't." Adam laughed.

"Yeah, well... I've missed a lot of school Adam. I'm really behind and if I keep doing this, then I won't graduate on time." I sighed.

"You've also had a lot going on, Danielle. And don't worry about not graduating on time. We've still got another whole year before we even graduate. Don't even worry about school right now – just focus on your situation, then school." Adam told me.

"That's easier said than done. My parents would be so disappointed in me right now if they knew I was this far behind." I shook my head as I focused my gaze towards the top of the table.

"I really doubt that. You're going to get caught up, but you matter before school does and I'm sure your parents would probably agree with that. Besides, you've got plenty of time to catch up with everything since we're not so distracted with our other... duties." He reminded me.

"Yeah, I know." I sighed, "I'm just thinking about a lot right now... sorry. Thanks for the mini tacos thought." I held one up and then bit into it.

"Anything for my girl." He smiled as he picked up and ate it himself.

"I hope Billy's okay." I muttered.

"Yeah, me too. Are you okay though?" he looked at me.

"Yeah." I lied. No, I wasn't the least bit okay... I killed my parents and they blamed me for it. How could I be okay? He didn't need to know that though.

Adam and I decided to leave the Juice Bar after we finished eating our plate of mini tacos. I grabbed his hand as we walked down the sidewalk and I started recognizing the direction we were heading in. I think we were going to the sketchy tree house and my suspicion was confirmed when I saw the park in my sights.

I climbed up the ladder first and then Adam followed right behind. We didn't go all the way inside today. We mainly stayed on the platform and cleaned some of the leaves and sticks off of it. It looked a little better once we did that.

"Back in Michigan, my favorite spot was this little café just outside of my hometown. I didn't get to go there as often as I liked because it was a half hour away from where I lived in the city, but I would always go on Sunday's if I didn't have anything to do. This married couple, Carson and Fae have owned it for years and they are the sweetest couple. They always kept the place friendly and homey." I told Adam.

"Was it a coffee café?" Adam asked as he stood next to me.

"Yeah." I nodded, "I don't drink coffee much anymore though."

"How do you take your coffee?" he asked.

"French vanilla latte with marshmallows and salted caramel drizzle." I told him.

"Sounds like a lot of sugar." Adam commented.

"Yeah, it is. How do you take yours?" I asked.

"Hot and black." He smiled.

"Liar." I met eyes with him.

"Well... with 7 pumps of hazel-nut." He laughed.

"That sounds more like it. But you don't even strike me as a coffee drinker." I told him.

"I'm not really." He shook his head as he sat down on the platform, letting his feet dangle off the side.

"Me either." I sat down next to him.

"Can I tell you something?" Adam asked.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"I've actually never been to a school dance either and I'm pretty nervous about it." He explained, "I almost didn't even ask you, but Kim and Aisha talked me into it."