twenty eight

Adam and I ended up taking a raincheck on our rollerblading lesson. Literally. It started pouring down while we sat on his front porch. So, instead we sat quietly in his room. He had been working on something on his computer and I had been slaving over some math homework. I had probably been working on it for the last two hours and at this point, I was exhausted from working on it. I pushed my textbook and notebook off to the side of Adam's bed some and closed my eyes for just a second. I remember opening them for a split second to glance at Adam who was still sitting at his computer but then they shut again and that was really the last thing I remembered before I fell asleep.

I had no intentions on falling asleep at Adam's house – or in his bed. He had invited me over to just hang out, which that was what we were doing... until I fell asleep. I wasn't even sure what time it was. All I knew it was dark outside and when I faintly opened my eyes, I could see Adam sitting in his computer chair leaned forward some eating something. From the casual crunch that was coming from his mouth, it sounded like cereal. It looked like he was staring at me but I couldn't really tell, I was still half asleep.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Like 2 a.m." Adam answered.

"What are you eating?" I asked, attempting a small stretch but retreated back to the little ball I was curled up in. I hadn't realized how cold it was in Adam's room until that moment.

"Cereal. Want a bowl?" he offered.

"What kind?" I muttered, sitting up some, running my hands through my hair to make sure it didn't look like a total rat's nest in front of Adam.

"Lucky Charms or frosted flakes." He said.

"Sure." I muttered, sitting up fully and crossing my legs. I couldn't help but yawn and I'm sure if there had been lighter in Adam's room, and he saw me yawn, he would have done the same. After all, they say yawning is contagious.

"Which kind?" he asked.

"Frosted Flakes." I told him.

Without saying another word, he got up and walked out of his room. I yawned again and tried to rub some sleep from my eyes as I waited for him to come back. I could hear him moving around the kitchen, trying and failing to be quiet since his room was just down the hall from it. If he was any louder, he'd wake his grandma up and that probably wouldn't be good.

Adam came back into his room and closed his door with his foot. Then he handed over my bowl of cereal and sat down on his bed next to me. It looked as if he had moved my school books onto his desk prior to him sitting down so I assumed it must have been when I was asleep. I felt bad about falling asleep in his bed – that wasn't my space to do so in, even if he was my boyfriend. After I finished my snack, I planned to leave. I was supposed to be staying at Kimberly's and her parents were probably wondering where I was at.;

"Thanks." I muttered.

Then we sat in utter silence just eating. Well, not complete silence because I could hear myself and Adam chewing.

"Sorry for falling asleep in your bed. I'm gonna put my bowl in the sink and then be on my way." I muttered, sliding to the edge of his bed.

"It's fine, Danielle. You don't have to go anywhere." Adam told me.

"I wasn't invited to stay over, Adam." I reminded him as I started to gather all my things.

"Danielle, just stop for a second." Adam stopped me from gathering all my things, "You don't have to go anywhere."

"Adam, I'll be fine." I told him.

"Why won't you just stay?" he asked, blocking the door.

"I'm supposed to be at Kimberly's. They're probably wondering where I'm at.." I said. This was embarrassing for me and I'm sure he would have seen how red my face was if he reached over and turned his bedroom light on. I didn't want him to feel like I had to stay here just because we were dating, and I was going through something. He does deserve space from me.