Chapter 14 The Boy

Razi cooked the food for that nights dinner. He's here he's actually here... Razi thought. Damien sat in the other room with her parents. He was chained up for safety reasons. He never looked up. He just stared at the floor. Even in a different room she could feel his presence. It was uncomfortable.
                They all sat down at dinner. They put their hands together and began to pray. "Oh bless us oh lord in these thy gifts which we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ our lord. In the name of the Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. Amen." They said. Damien didn't pray. He stared at his plate. Razi and her parents served up the food and put in on their plates. Razi's mom had to put food on Damien's plate. They all began to eat. Razi had cooked ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, some beans, and some mixed vegetables. Razi and her parents ate some cranberries that were in the fridge as well. After dinner Razi cleaned up. She wasn't going to make her parents do it. She cleaned the dishes and wrapped the food up.
     Razi's parents were in the study with Damien. They read him a book they had taken off the shelf. Razi stood in the doorway and smiled slightly. She went upstairs to her room. She locked the door. Razi went into her closet and through an opening that was there for Brahms. She had almost forgotten Brahms. Razi went through the tiny walkway in the walls. She got to Brahms' living space. "Brahms." Razi said to let him know of her presence. He looked like he was working on something. Brahms quickly cleaned up his desk and hid what he was working on. She walked up to him. "Working on something are we?" Razi said. He looked up at her. Razi looked at at Brahms' green eyes. The only feature of his face she could see when we wore the mask.
          Razi sat down in a chair near his bed. "Apparently my brother is here too." Razi sighed and put her hand on her forehead. Brahms looked at her confused. "Right you never knew I had a brother." Razi said looking up at Brahms. "His name is Damien. I'm 15 years older than him. He's 16 this year. But he's messed up. He has tried to hurt me countless times when I was younger. So we put him in a mental institution to help. It looks like nothing helped him." Razi explained. "My parents had him after we moved to America." Razi said. Razi grabbed her arm and turned her head to the side. "They only good thing about him is that once he was born he made my parents change the way they treated me. Ever since I was born they wanted me to be a boy. They couldn't except the fact I was a girl. So when I was at home they treated me like a boy. Forced me to wear boy clothes. And when we were out in public I wore girl clothes only because my parents wanted to make sure nothing bad happened to their name. All that changed when he was born. I finally was accepted as being born a girl." Razi said. "That was when I was about 16 years old." Razi said.
               Brahms cocked his head to the side. "We can't change the past." Razi stated.  Razi got up and moved the chair out of the way. "It's time for bed Brahms. Sorry but we had a very late dinner. I didn't time that well." Razi said standing next to the bed. Brahms stood up and walked over to Razi. He got into bed. Razi tucked him in. Razi smiled. "There you go. All set for sleep." Razi said. Brahms looked at her. Razi started to walk away. Brahms grabbed her arm. She turned and looked at him. "Yes Brahms?" Razi asked. He pointed to his mask. "Want me to take it off?" Razi asked. Brahms nodded. She stepped closer to the bed. Razi reached for the mask and took it off. Razi set it down on the desk next to the bed.
    Razi looked at Brahms. She could see more of his features now. Not just his green eyes. But his entire face. The burns, his beard. She put her hand on his right cheek near the burn. Brahms watched her. She caressed his burn with her thumb. To her it felt a little like rubber. She smiled slightly. "Kiss?" Brahms asked. Razi blushed slightly. Then she remembered it was a rule on the paper. She remembered it's been a long time since she followed that rule. The last time she did it was when it was just her and the doll. If that's what he wants Razi thought. Razi remembered the dare Emily had given her when they were kids. Razi blushed a bit more. She leaned in. Brahms grabbed her arms. Razi kissed Brahms.
            Razi was asleep on her bed. The house was quiet. Her brother slept in Brahms' old bedroom. Her parents in the Heelshire's old room. You could hear the owls outside. Razi's mom was down in the kitchen drinking a glass of milk. Her mom had insomnia. It was usual for her mom to stay up late for awhile. Brahms stood in the doorway. "You should be a little more sneaky if you don't want to get noticed." Mom said to Brahms. He turned his head to the side then back.
      Soon it was morning. Razi yawned and stretched. Razi said in her bed for a bit. She kept remembering last night. Razi had kissed Brahms. For real this time. It was an actual kiss. Not the one your parents give to their child. Razi's face was red. She held her comforter close to her. Is he going to ask for another one tonight? What will he do tonight if I give it to him? Razi asked herself. Razi got up. She was in pajamas. She didnt bother getting changed. Damien was awake and sitting on the bed. Razi walked in. "Need to use the bathroom Damien?" Razi asked. Her brother nodded his head. Damien was mute. He couldn't talk. That made him more creepy to Razi. "Ok. Give me a moment." Razi went took out a key from her pocket.
              She knelt down and unlocked the handcuff he was cuffed in. Another safety precaution. She took the handcuff off the stand. Razi put it over his wrists. The cuffs snapped into place. "You know I hate having to do this to my own brother." Razi said. Damien looked at Razi. Razi felt unsettled. She helped Damien up. They walked to the bathroom. Razi let him walk inside. She closed the door behind him. He went to the bathroom. A few minutes later he came out. "I'll take you downstairs and get you breakfast. Sound good?" Razi asked. He nodded. Razi was amazed at how tall he was getting. He was an inch or two taller than Razi now. Last time she saw him he was shorter than her.
        Damien sat at the table in the kitchen. He had to be chained up to the table. Razi meant it when she said she hated having to do that. Razi cooked breakfast for the both of them. A typical English breakfast. She set their plates down at the table. "So how was your sleep bud? Was it comfortable?" Razi asked him. Damien used sign language to answer her. A skill they both had to learn. "That's good. I don't want you uncomfortable here little brother." Razi said as she took a bite of her food. "What do you think of our home country, England?" Razi asked. Damien signed, "it's good". Razi nodded as she ate some more. "Alright eat your food. You need it." Razi ordered.
       After breakfast Razi got on her coat. "I'm going to take you outside. Don't tell anybody and we won't get into trouble." Razi winked. Damien looked at Razi. Razi help him put a coat on. She made sure he had his handcuffs on. They went outside. Damien looked around. "Pretty isn't it?" Razi asked. Damien nodded. They walked around. Soon Razi took them both back inside. They went into the study. She made sure Damien was locked up. "Alright. Mum and dad should wake up soon. Wait for them. I got to do some cleaning. I am the housekeeper after all." Razi said as she walked out. Razi started cleaning the house. Her parents woke up. Razi said goodmorning as she cleaned. Razi parents went downstairs to Damien.
           Razi loved Damien. He was her little brother after all. Even if he creeped her out and tried to hurt her multiple times. She still loved and cared for him. Having a mute brother is hard but it's even harder when his brain was changed to think bad things. Razi dropped her cleaning supplies and ran downstairs. Damien was having another one of his fits. Razi ran and grabbed him. "Damien calm down." Razi said. Damien broke free from her grasp in a forceful way. Razi fell backwards hitting against the floor loudly. Damien picked up a chair and threw it at the wall. It smashed to pieces. Razi looked at him in horror. Damien breathed heavily. His hair covering his mouth moved forward with each breath. He glanced at Razi. Razi could see his green eye that stared at her. Razi felt tears roll down her face.