Prologue

[Short Story]

The beginning is a bit boring but hang on it gets interesting, i promise. :)

--------

"Would you like some more rice?" I asked my husband politely.

I was feeling very nervous, I was recently married so I still wasn't quite sure how to act around him yet.

"No." He said without even looking at me and continued eating. He's always doing this. Every attempt I make of a conversation, he turns me down. He doesn't even look at me. He stays out most of the time while on the other hand I'm at home all the time.

I had an arranged marriage. Just a few days ago I was still in University, happily studying the subject I was always interested in; history.

Then suddenly out of nowhere my mother barged into my room one day.

"Miha, Me and your father would like to talk to you. Would you please come downstairs for a minute?" She asked politely as always. We might be middle class but I was raised with proper traditional manners. I have never seen my parents be rude to someone in my whole life. I was the same.

"Yes, mother. Offcourse." I replied. She gave me a small smile before leaving.

I closed the history book in front of me. I was studying hard for an assignment, which was due in a few days. Then I headed downstairs.

"Good evening, Mother and father." I said as I took a seat at the sofa across from them in the living room.

They both muttered "Good evening", with huge smiles on their faces.

"Has something excited happened?" I smiled as well. It was so nice seeing their genuine happy faces after such a long time. They're usually fake smiling even when they're not happy because it's rude otherwise.

"Yes, dear." My father spoke up. Then he looked at my mother.

"We've arranged your marriage!" She said enthusiastically clapping her hands.

I stared at them dumbfounded. "W-What?" I stuttered.

Their smiles vanished. "You're not happy?"

"I-I don't know. Who am I getting married to?" I asked. The truth is, I don't want to get married yet. I wasn't even thinking of it untill I'm 25 atleast and have dated that person beforehand. But an arranged marriage? I never thought of that. It was dumb on my part. Considering my parents, offcourse I was bound to get an arranged marriage.

My mothers face lit up. "He's a first class defence lawyer! He earns a lot! He has a huge house and two cars. He's quite a looker too!" Happiness dripped from her voice. The more I looked at their faces, the more I felt bad about planning to declining their offers. They clearly think this guy is the perfect match for me.

"O-Okay but if you don't mind, Can I ask why you guys thought of my marriage so soon? I thought you wanted me to finish University first?"

My mother and father looked at each other.

"Actually... This boy... Is your fathers Boss' son. This boy was recently divorced. So he stays really quiet all the time. He refuses to meet people, even his friends. He has drowned himself in his work... His father is really worried about him. That's why he proposed that getting him to get married again would cure him. You know how much he respects your father right? That's why he chose you. He thinks someone like you could snap him out of his daze and get him to live his life again. The boy used be a sweet thing, I've met him a couple of times myself. I've thought it out. You're going to very happy with him. You trust us right? We want nothing but the best for you." Mother said as I took in all the information quietly.

So he's a divorcee? Okay, I admit I'm not that pretty but this is not how imagined my marriage to be. I wanted someone who'd love me only. We'd date for at least 2 years. We'd meet each other's parents. We'd go on a honeymoon. But a divorcee? He already got his heart broken. What's the guarantee that he'd fall in love again? That too, with me?

"Can I think about this?" I asked my parents.

"Offcourse! We're not forcing you. Just think about it. We both think it's the best for you. Such a good husband is hard to come by. If his father starts looking, he'd have thousands of girls lined up." My mother spoke quickly.

Ah... when she says like that, it means I really don't have a choice.

"I'm leaving. I'll be back late. " My husband said shortly before getting up and leaving the house.

I feel that if he could, he'd just leave and never come back.

We've been married for a few days now and we've barely talked. I tried to hold conversations with him many times but he simply wouldn't speak. After the 3rd day, I gave up. I don't know what to do. Everyday he leaves at 9 in the morning and comes back at 8, 9 or 10. I found out his office ends at 2, yesterday. What he does after that... I don't know. I want to ask but I'm too scared. He haven't done anything scary but he has a cold expression on all the time that makes him hard to approach.

I haven't been to university for a week. After my wedding, when he's not home I just watch TV. I used to like watching TV untill I watched it all day for 3 days in a row. Now I'm sick of it. I need to go out.

I called my friend Yuki. My wedding... was really private. Only his parents and my parents were present. Again, it wasn't how I imagined it to be. I wanted to invite all my friends, especially Yuki. She was my close friend after all. But when mother said that since it's my husbands second marriage, we should consider their feelings and not make it a big deal. I wanted to say, what about me? It's my first marriage. But offcourse i didn't say that. It'd be rude and inconsiderate. My parents had raised me better than to be selfish.

"Hello Yuki?" I said as she picked up her phone.

"Hiii Miha! Haven't seen you in a while! When are you coming back? We all miss you, you know." Yuki said.

"I honestly don't know... I was wondering if you'd like to come shopping with me today?" I asked her. My husband gave me a credit card the day after my wedding day. He said I could go shopping or do whatever I wanted when he's not home. So I don't get bored. I finally decided to use it today.

"Sure! See you in front of the mall?"

-----

To my surprise, my husband comes back quite early today. A little later than me, when I came back from the mall.

I bought a dress. A light blue dress. I could have bought more, but my parents have taught me not to waste money. Only buy the things you need and only occasionally buy a present for yourself when you deserve it. I think I deserved mine. I tolerated through this wedding. I tried to hold a conversion with my husband who clearly isn't happy with this marriage. I've given up on my studies which I clearly used to enjoy. If anyone deserved that dress, It was me.

My husband entered the living room, he looked tired as usual.

"Shall I make you some tea?" I stood up from the sofa and offered, but he ignored me.

He went straight to our bedroom and slammed the door behind him. I started at the closed door for a while before sitting down again, watching the TV.

Then it dawned to me, he hates me.

Am I really going to live like this for the rest of my life?