Chapter 13: Dawn

Widowmaker pov

I fly back onto one of the railings as he strikes me back. My breath is knocked out of my lungs as he starts to approach me again, makeshift blade in hand. I look at the nuke. The launching protocol is nearing completion. I look back at him.

"Y/N...please... come back."

Your pov

"Y/N...please...come back."

Her voice is clear as day. She's stressed. She sounds hurt. And...sad? Amélie is sad? But she couldn't feel anything.

I try to focus. I need to see what is happening. The light in front of me hasn't stopped shining.

I walk forward towards it.

"She betrayed you.", the voice echoes.

"She toyed with you. Like a pet."

"Her love wasn't real."

The voices keep on echoing. It hurts. My head aches at every sentence, almost as if it'll explode. But the light...I need to see it. I keep moving forward. I keep struggling as I feel a force trying to push me back.

"You truly believe that anything has changed? This world is heartless! It is cruel beyond salvation! You should know this more than anyone!", the voice yells around me, my ears ringing from it as I try to close them off with my hands.

As I near the light, I see her. Amélie. She is almost looking right at me. Her skin is...normal. She looks hurt. What is going on? She's starting to get up. As she stands, I feel her eyes locking with mine, here in this dark place.

"Y/N. I took the cure. It worked. Look! I'm here.", she starts to say.

I'm baffled. She did take the cure. She wanted to change.

"Lies! It's all a plan to attempt to win you over once more!", the voice echoes.

"Y/n.", she says with a weak voice. I see tears forming in her eyes. Tears?! On Amélie?!

"Je t'aime. Pour toujours.", she says as she lowers her head and looks at the floor, teardrops falling from her face.

"She did take the cure... she does love me!", I exclaim.

I see some sort of makeshift sword rising to the side. That would be my body, being controlled by him. He's going to strike her down! Not a chance I'm letting that slide! I run off through the light.

Widowmaker pov

"You can not stop this.", he says. Whatever has taken control of Y/N.

I look up to him, tears in my eyes. And I hope. I hope that Y/N will come back in time. But even my hope is wearing thin now. His yellow eyes look straight at me. Through me even. I draw my rifle and aim at him but
..I can't. I can't just shoot him. I can't let myself kill him or harm him. The old me could've but... not me.

I lower my rifle as he starts to raise this makeshift blade. I close my eyes and wait for the strike.

"Y/N... forgive me. Please.", I say between soft sniffles as I feel the end come nearer.

And yet the moment took too long. I opened up my eyes and saw the blade right in front of me. But he didn't follow through.

"How is this possible?!", he groaned.

His arm was shivering. As if being helt back.

"Your body succumbs! Your heart submits! So why does your mind resist?!"

He grabbed his own arm and turned around, seemingly heading into a struggle with himself.

"Because I'm done with you. I'm done with the doubting. People have proven themselves to me over the past few months, one way or another. Talon and Overwatch even made peace just to save me. So, why shouldn't I do the same?"

I get up as I hear the argument between whoever the other one is and Y/N.

"Y/N?", I softly call out.

"Hey. Amélie. Give me just a sec. Be right with you. Let go, damn you!", he says between grunts.

I go ahead and look down and see the two figures climbing up the tower, leaving the others back on ground level.

Not happening, I think to myself.

"Personne n'echappe à mon regard!"

I put my visor on and follow their movements, signaling their positions to the rest. Shots are fired from me and from the troops on the ground. Pharah covers them with her missiles.

They will not get to Y/N!

Your pov

"You mind letting go there, buddy?", I said as I was trying to disarm...well, myself.

"Fool! You can't undo this! I've been a part of you forever!"

"Yeah, well, you're not paying rent so, it's past time to kick you out.", I grunted. He's losing his grip, I can tell.

"I'm what's kept us sane! Without me, you'd have turned crazy years ago! Whenever everyone abandoned you, I was there!"

"Comforting me with thoughts that the world is terrible? I think I'm done with that."

"You'll beg for me to come back before the year is over! This world is cruel! You know this!"

As I yelled I finally regained control. I dropped the sword to the ground and started tapping away on the control module he had installed on this roof.

"You're right!", I yelled.

"The world is cruel. And heartless. And cold."

I felt his presence weaken.

"But you know what? Fighting it with those same emotions just makes us part of that thought. It doesn't help us fight it at all. So we're done doing that. Let's see what happens...", I clicked the final button as the nuke powered down and the launch was aborted.

"...if we turn the tables around for once."

The nuke stood towering over me as I turned and went to sit down on the ground. I looked out to the other end of the tower. Cheers and laughter echoed throughout the city. Perhaps throughout the world. Amélie walked up to me.

I expected a punch. A kick. A slap at the very least. But instead she knelt down and kissed me. My eyes widened as I looked at her as she broke the kiss.

"I'm sorry...", was all I could even attempt to get out of my mouth.

She just held me as she said "Me too, chèrie."

And I have to admit. At that point, the world didn't feel so cold anymore.