Chapter 20: Succesful experiment

The rest of the overwatch team arrived into the lab. What they saw was Amélie sitting in front of Y/N.

What they didn't see were his eyes.

"Chèrie. Look at me. Talk to me.", Widowmaker pleaded and begged as Y/n shifted his face to look her in the eyes.

His blank expression communicated no emotion. No feeling. He simply stared at her.

"Did you know the muscles in the human body are always usable to their fullest extent, no matter how untrained they are?"
Doctor Hollin now once again crawled up the walls on his way to the ceiling.
As he said this, Y/N grabbed Amélie by the throat and lifted her up as he got up.
Amélie tried to break free but it was no use.

"Emotion inhibitors. I created them myself. When applied, the subject no longer requires emotions to function. No fear, no love, no anger, no hatred. A simple state of existence. The mind can react faster, the body even more so. No more doubts, making the perfect type of soldiers, don't you think?"

Tracer walked forward as she saw the scenery in front of her.
"Y/N! This ain't you, luv! We came to rescue you! To bring you and Amélie together again!"

"She doesn't need me.", Y/N spoke eerily calm.

The room fell silent.

"There are better people than me. Bigger. Stronger. Smarter. Faster. More logical. More fun."
His eyes rested on Amélie's calmly.
"I couldn't even save you outside. So what's my use?"
"Chèrie. That's not why I love you.", Amélie tried to speak, but could only barely let the words leave her squished throat.
"Love is inconsequential. A means to an end. You, above all, should know this."

Y/N's voice remained eerily calm. Yet he seemed to be very strained.

"When no emotions are involved, my mind feels clearer. I look around and all I can see is how this world is all going towards a singular point. Death. People wage war, they love and care, they fear and hate, but eventually, when they come to pass, there remains little of them. It all returns into oblivion with them."

The words leaving Y/N's mouth stunned everyone in the room. Even Doctor Hollin's.

"Well. An unexpected side effect. But not an undesirable one.", Hollin chuckled.

"Life has no meaning. It never did. People filled it with fantasies and lies they told themselves, so they could sleep peacefully at night. Face it, Amélie. No one needs no one."

"That's. Not. You. Chèrie...", Amélie tried to fight against the grip but Y/N didn't budge.

Y/N tightened his grip on her neck as he looked back to the overwatch members, who drew their weapons.

They ran up as turrets appeared from within the walls of the room. Soon the room was filled with gunfire, yelling and fighting. But Y/N stood there, holding Amélie up.

She reached her hand out as her strained voice started to talk.
"Chèrie. Whatever happens today. I forgive you. This is not you. I know it isn't."
Her hand touched his cheek.
"If you kill me in this state, I will not hold it against you. Je comprends. It's okay."
Her voice grew more strained as she forced the words out.
Y/N just looked at her. She who was once the love of his life.
As this thought passed his mind, he felt his cheek get wet.
Amélie looked at him and saw the tear running down his face as his grip softened.

"I feel no hatred. I only feel love. The love you have shown me. Y/N. In life and in death. Je t'aime."

Y/n's arm seemed to strain. Another tear started rolling down.

"Amélie..."
His voice had changed from a monotone one to one drained in anguish and pain.
"We only have one chance. I'm going to drop you. I can feel the pain. That inhibitor is probably overloading. Shoot me in the chest, next to my heart."