Chapter 21: Epilogue

Hey everyone. I wish to apologise for the delay in this final chapter of this story. I've been thinking a lot about closing this story and moving on to the others I've been busy on. On top of that, the struggle with cancer of a family member, following with the death of said family member had impacted me during recent weeks. As such, my mind was not much on writing. But I'm here now and hope you enjoy the final chapter in this story. Have a good day, people.

The days went by slowly but surely. Talon and Overwatch seemed to have buried the hatchet, for the moment.

With your efforts, they were better than ever at keeping people of this planet safe.

As you sit there tinkering in your lab, you hear the doors open.

"Please, keep your hands off of everything, some of this stuff is very volatile.", You warned.

"Just like you to stick here in your lab."

You almost dropped your materials to the ground as you realized you knew this voice.

You turned and readjusted your glasses as you saw two figures in the doorframe.

"Wait. No, you guys were removed!"

"Calm down, Y/N. Yes, we were removed. And this is who we are. Actually are."

In front of you stood two men. One slender tall brown haired man with green eyes and one stockier, bulkier one with black hair and brown eyes.

"So...you mean to tell me you got your bodies back? But, how?"

"We simply had to wander back towards them. The doc kept us locked away quite secretively.", Said the slender one.

The other man chimed in. "Yup. Luckily, our bodies were still in good condition. Might've ended up in a pickle or piece of toast otherwise!"

The two men laughed as you walked up to them
"You seem so different.", You muttered.

"Of course. Twisted by the mystery substance the doc used. Nasty piece of work, that."

"And don't worry. We're not here to harm you. Just to say goodbye. And to thank you and Amélie for setting us free."

You walked up to them as you shook their hands. You exchanged pleasantries for a bit until...

"Well. We should be off. Places to be, people to meet."
You smiled at them.
"Well. For what it is worth, I thank the both of you for your company over the years.", You joked.

The three of you shared a small laugh as you said your goodbyes.

"Take care of Overwatch. They'll need you."
The tall slender one said as they walked away.

You stood there, smiling to yourself. You were able to make a change for them. And they were better off for it.

You stared at that door for a good minute. At which time Amélie walked in. Her slender frame gracefully gliding towards you.

"That happy to see me, cherie?", She asked.
"Did you see those men that just left?", You asked.

Her puzzled expression came as a surprise.

"There were no men here when I arrived.", She said.

You just smiled. Whatever it was, it had given you some closure.
You rushed forward and swept Amélie off her feet, in your arms as you danced around, showering her with kisses, as she held onto the back of your neck, laughing. A sound you never got tired of hearing.

"Chèrie! What is going on with you?", She asked with a smile.

You stopped spinning, just looking in her eyes. You had come from rock bottom all the way here. No more experiments, no more nightmares, a beloved woman at your side and people that honestly cared about you.

"The highest point of my life, chèrie!", You nearly sang as you put her down.

"My knowledge has finally done what I always wished to do with it! Change the world. For the better!"

You walked around, showing off some projects, in your ecstatic state.

"I have cured my old tormentor's cure!", You yelled as you ran around the lab, pulling a lever to start your latest project.

"I have succesfully retrieved his project on me!", You yelled as you jumped down a set of stairs, as Amelie simply crossed her arms, smiling as if seeing a child getting the best christmas present.

"Hell, I have brought peace between Talon and Overwatch!", You laughed as power surged throughout the lab. Any second now...

"And for my next trick!"
You ran up in front of the contraption you had created.
"I can start experimenting on more things! Stronger shields! Better healing capabilities! Weapons, explosives! Give me a minute, I might get a grasp on Time travel!"

As you stood in front of it, the power surged to the contraption, lighting up the letters.
"But I want merely one thing. To have you by my side. Always.", You say as you knelt.

Amelie was speechless as in front of her now stood the old doomsday project, which you had now repurposed into a defused statuette, electricity surging and drawing the likenesses of you and her, with letters above it surging, "Will you marry me?"

"Chèrie... Is this...?"
"Yes, Amélie. It is you I want, more than anything in the universe. For now and forever."
She walked up towards you, looking down at you.
"Amélie. Will you marry me?"
"Oui! Yes, yes, yes!"
She said as she walked over to you, kissing you deeply.
You took out a remote and pressed a button as the contraption now opened and a mevhanical arm reached out a ring. Which you wasted no time putting around Amélie's finger.

And so it happened. You and Amélie married, and set off on a honeymoon. Overwatch and Talon worked together to push back the robotic threats that still roamed.
But you had their backs with new inventions and specialties alike.

And like never before, you changed the world.

The end