Chapter 15: Convergence

As the morning slowly crept into the window, I opened my eyes as I saw Amélie's bare back in front of me. I slowly shifted closer and laid my arm around her. She seemed to purr of happiness as she laid her arm on mine in her sleep.
If you had told me last month that I would be laying in abed with a drop-dead gorgeous assassin one morning, whom I would make a cure for, I would have laughed in your face and told you that that wasn't ever going to happen.
Yet here I am. As I pull her a bit closer, she stirs in her sleep and turns over to me, slightly opening her eyes as a smile appears over her lips.
"Good morning, Y/N.", she said with a soft voice.
"Hello, beauté.", I said, which immediately caused her to giggle and shuffle closer.
If I had to choose one thing I loved about this woman, it would have to be her smile. The way her lips curve just...does something to me.
"Hope you slept well?", I asked. "Comme une rose.", she replies. Her skin feels soft as I slowly carress her arm and back.
I remember where I used to be. Working in a job I hated, being alone, trying to keep myself going by hoping that one day, things would be better.
"Chèrie, what's on your mind?"
It would seem that the memories of my old life, my old appartment, my old heartbreaks had some visible effect on me.
"Just thinking about how lucky I am to leave my old life behind and get this amazing woman next to me in return.", I said, with a sigh of contentment.
Her eyes looked as if they sparkled in the morning sun. Her lips found mine, softly kissing them as we embraced each other.
Sadly, today was not a day for sleeping in.

Today, both Talon and Overwatch would be meeting, which caused me great concern.
If they wanted to, Talon could just take me away from this place, considering I had signed up with them. But that would also indicate they would leave Amélie behind, as she would be of no use to them anymore. With a heavy beating heart, Amélie walked through the hallways, hand in hand. She was nervous. I could tell by the way her eyes darted around. But she had noticed I was nervous too. If I was nervous, I'd start biting on my lip, making small wounds. They didn't hurt, it was just my way of coping with stress.
"Chèrie. Don't do that to your lips. You know I like them too much to have you do that.", she said.
"Amélie. I hate to have to admit this but, I am scared."
Her hand tightened around mine.
"Moi aussi, chèrie. But I know one thing.", he said as she turned in front of me, stopping in her tracks.
"There is nothing in this world that will stop me from loving you. Not even Talon.", she said as she held my hands. Her smile gave me confidence.
"I still do not understand how I got so lucky with you.", I said, walking next to her, holding her hand a bit tighter.
I was in love with her. That was for sure. And if she was going to not let anything get in her path to love me, then neither was I. Not even Reaper would take me away from her.

Timeskip

We both arrived in the meeting room, which was filled with people. There was a lot of arguing between them. I felt Amélie's hand tighten a bit around mine. This room felt heated because of all the discussions taking place.

"That's enough!!", yelled Soldier.
The room went silent.
"We're not fighting on this day!! For once since a long time, Overwatch and Talon have worked together again, to face a threat too big for both parties."
Reaper stepped up next to him.
"And this may happen again. We've found out why this has happened.", he said, the grizzly voice having made place for a more regular one.

"Found out?", I whispered. "Found out what?"

Then they looked to me. "Y/N. If you would step up with us here."
I looked at Amélie. I felt scared. Something didn't feel right.
She just nodded and quickly pecked me on the lips, pushing me forward.
I walked up to the improvised stage next to them.

"As it turns out,", a screen lit up behind us, showing a facility of some sort. "Y/N...has been a test subject for a year."

The words cut into me like knives. What? A test subject? Me? I don't remember that at all. I turn with a questioning look on my face to soldier.
"During this period of time, Y/N has had several tests performed on him in regares to a secret project.", soldier continued.

"These tests were done for the same professor who performed the brainwash on Amélie Lacroix.", said Reaper. "And...these tests were rather grave."

The screen flipped over to a screen that shocked me. There I was, in the center if the screen, tied to an iron table in chains.
"Test subject 28A1, test 5. And, engage.", we heard through the screen.
A dark cloud seemed to be released onto my body on-screen. And then there were huge electric shocks as I heard my own screams.
My head hurt. I started remembering. A whole year. A year full of this damned torture!

"These tests were to attempt to...change Y/N. Away from himself into something else.", soldier continued. More videos were shown. Screams. My screams. The ones I had forgotten.

"What exactly were they trying to change him into?", Moira asked.

"We don't know.", Reaper replied. "Not even Talon has records on these tests. This is the work of someone entirely different."

I looked at the screen in horror as my screams continued. I remember it all. The pain. The tremendous physical pain. The psychological games they made me play. I turned around and saw everyone gazing at me. I felt like a freak, right in the middle of a freak show.

With that, I stormed out of the meeting room and ran to my room.

I remembered.