Chapter 9: Decisions

I walk into the room. My mood hasn't improved a single bit. I look at the new base. The overwatch base.

Lena has offered me protection here. Protection from all of Talon. That's what they were called. Sombra. Amélie. Reaper. Moira. Sigma. They all belonged to that name.

I was still working through the idea of the fact that they all were just there to do one thing. Manipulate me.

"Y/n? Are ya listenin', luv?"

I look up. I see this group of people. Cheery. Friendly. Kind. But...something in me just didn't want to trust anyone anymore.

"I'm sorry. I got stuck in my head. What were you guys saying?"

"We're saying hello!", a tall man in very impressive armour walked up to me, outstretching his hand towards me.

"Hi.", I muttered softly as I put my hand in his, suddenly having my hand shaked rather violently.

They all introduced themselves. But I was focused on the two cloaked figures in the back. They kept following me, now with this darned grin on their face. No one else could see them. A testament to how deep I am in my own head.

They show me to my room and leave me to unpack. Lena stays behind.

I drop my bag on the bed and have a look around. Luxury everywhere but...it felt like something was missing. And I knew full well what that was.

"Y/N...", Lena squeaked behind me.

I look back at her. She took a step back. Was she scared of me?

"Do I frighten you now?", I ask, with a rather monotonous voice.

"You...you just have this really weird look in your eyes. It's as if... as if you're angry with more than just Talon."

I walk up to her.

"I hate this world. I hate this universe. I hate this humanity. I, currently, for all intents and purposes, hate everything around me."

"Even me?", she asked.

This sort of brought me back to reality. My eyes widened in the realization that I had just snapped against maybe the only person I had ready to help me at this point. I look at the floor in defeat.

"No. Not you. Not even anyone in Overwatch. I just...I wish things would turn out right. Just this once."

She puts a hand on my shoulder.

"But I guess that's not how whatever has cursed me sees it."

"You're not cursed, Y/N."

"Look at me. A scientist that worked on a mass death project, has been manipulated by something he had believed was love and who even went above and beyond to try and make a cure."

I looked her in the eye.

"If I'm not cursed. Then what have I done to deserve this kind of treatment?"

She hugged me. I felt awkward. I wasn't in the mood at all for hugging.

"Things'll get better. Just believe in that."

"Right.", I said.

She let go and I turned, starting to unpack what I still had left.

"Talk soon, okay?", she said.

"Talk soon."

With that she walked off. I unpack my stuff and find the other vial. The one with the skull.

"You know...", one cloaked figure now appeared at the door.

"That sample you hold. It could help you out."

I ignore him again. The other cloaked figure appears right in front of me.

"A sip of that. Would truly help with not dealing with these feelings."

"As if that were a solution.", I snarl.

"But it is. You made a cure for the harlot who betrayed you. Why wouldn't you be able to use her sample to not feel anything for yourself anymore?"

The figure at the door walked closer.

"Wasn't that what you truly wanted? Not having to suffer anymore?"

I look at the vial. Maybe...maybe they were right.

"You've attempted changing the world a few times already. See how that went. Why not change yourself for once?"

It would be good not having to deal with this heartache. Changing the world didn't work. So why would I keep trying anymore.

"They think you weak. But would a weakling dare to go ahead and make such a change? We...think not."

I uncork the vial.

It smells just as horrid when I first got it. I remembered everything again. Amélie. The dates. Sombra. Sigma andd Moira. I grew sad and angry again.

"Drink. It will all go away again."

I started to bring the vial to my mouth.

Widowmaker pov

I had looked everywhere for him. My skin had changed again to it's original color. He had done it! He had cured me! The memories of Gerard...my past... they hurt. But Y/N, had always been there for me.

I walked into Sombra's room.

"Sombra. Do you have a location yet?"

She typed away furiously, opening screens around her. "No, nothing yet."

I looked at the screens. Hopeful. A feeling I had not experienced in a long time.

Why didn't I see him at the coffee shop? Or our little restaurant? The theatre?

I had retraced all of the steps I could. But no place to find him.

Where are you, Y/N? I am so, so sorry.

Lena pov

I walked on back to Y/N's door. He hasn't come outside in quite some time. I hope he's doing alright.

I open the door and see him standing with his back to me. In some sort of dark cloak?

Weird choice of clothing. And he's just standing there holding...a vial?

"Y/N?"

Instantly he drops it, the vial shattering into a million pieces. I notice the skull label as it floats down.

He keeps facing away from me and the color of his hair started to shift to a pure white.

"Y/N?", he repeated.

"I believe, dear Lena, you are mistaken.", he said as he turned slowly.

The color in his eyes had changed to a raging orange. And they didn't look friendly at all.

"Poor little Y/N needed...a break.", he said stepping towards me.

"So. I wear his face. I hold his name. But don't think for a second... that I am him. I am...much, much better."

He turned around and a circle of dark energy swirled around his feet.

"See you around. Luv.", he grinned. The energy shot up. And Y/N had disappeared.

Where are you, Y/N?