Chapter 8: Hope

I sat down with my Latte again in the coffee shop. I wasn't sure what I was hoping for anymore. To see Amélie and hear her explain to me that it's not true, tears in her eyes? That wouldn't happen. After all, she couldn't feel a thing. Unless-

I hear the familiar bell. Lena steps in once again. She sees me and runs over.

"I was hopin' I could meet ya again, luv! I'm so- Blimey, look at you! What happened?"

Right. My eyes must've been bloodshot because of the crying. I had used my jacket to wipe some of it and my hair must've been crazy from the rain and wind.

I couldn't look at her. I looked at my cup, feeling as if I wanted to crush it.

"You were right...", I attempted to speak, but most of the words got stuck behind the lump in my throat.

She sat down putting an arm on my shoulder, trying to comfort me.

"But we'll find out soon. Won't we?"

"What do you mean, luv?"

Widowmaker pov

I walk into my room, immediately noticing something amiss. Y/N hasn't come to find me. Has he found out? I see a vial on my shelf, with a note under it. The vial has a symbol of a heart over it.

I take the note and start reading.

"Dear Amélie,

If you're reading this, then I've already left.

I found out. All of it. And you have no idea how it hurts. You probably don't even know what that pain feels like.

I have worked tirelessly to make a cure for you. And I succeeded. Believing I would be doing you a kindness, as you have done for me.

Against my better judgement I left you this cure. I should've let you stay this way. Shouldn't have given you an option. So see me leaving this behind as a testament of how I feel about you.

Should you care for what we had, even just a little, then trust me. Drink the potion. It will heal you and allow you to feel again.

Drink the potion and you'll know where to find me.

Don't drink it and I will then realize how truly heartless this world is.

Hopefully, I'll see you soon.

Signed,
Y/N L/N"

I look at the bottle, thinking what to do.

Your pov

I looked out into the street. I was hoping she'd show up. Hoping she'd drank it. Hoping it was real. Even for a little bit.

Lena's attempst to comfort me went unnoticed.

"How long will you be waiting here, luv?"

"I dunno. Part of me wants to say as long as it takes but...that's not realistic is it? At what point do you finally learn give up hope?"

She looked at you with a worried face.

"I guess...until the shop closes. Nothing else to be done. Right?"

You looked back to the window. The two cloaked figures just stood there. The shadows on their face only revealing a large grin.

Would she drink it? Did she even care? I sighed loudly. All the things she said. The things we did together. Was it really all just a fake? An illusion to keep me in check?

Widowmaker's pov

"Hello, cabrona."

I turn around to see Sombra walk into my room, closing the door.

"What are you doing here?"

"Just helping a friend."

"Really? Whom?"

"The one who left you that vial."

I look at the bottle. Then return my gaze.

"Why would I drink this? None of it was real, anyway. I should've killed him when I had the chance."

"See, Amélie, you have a disadvantage. You have a tell."

"A what?"

"A tell. Like the way the corner of your mouth just dropped as you said those words. The way your nose twitches when you mention his name."

She's lying. I am the perfect assassin. Emotions are not required.

'Amélie?'

I hear his voice. I see his face. Why? I do not love him. I am incapable of doing so.

"You're thinking of him. I can tell, pendeja!"

"I can not "love". It is impossible for me."

"Not if you drink that.", she points at the vial.

"Think about it, cabrona. You could feel what he feels. When he looks ever so dreamy at you. When he talks about you, it's nothing but praise. Do you truly not wonder what that's like? With that vial it's all possible. It's within reach!"

I look at the vial.

"But it's not required."

"Not to be an assassin, no. But to be a human? Most certainly."

I ponder. Would I want to feel like that? Would it hurt? Would it feel good? What does that even feel like?

"If you're gonna make a decision, cabrona. Make it fast."

She puts her cellphone in my direction.

"I truly love her Sombra. But I just hope she drinks it. I want. No, need it to be real.", she repeats his text.

"He loves you. And he doesn't want to let go. So, why make him?"

He did smile often. Comfort me. Loved me. Even if I merely pretended. It seemed... good.

I watch Sombra leave the room. Leaving me alone with the vial. This could change everything. What if I have memories? Before him?

I look into the mirror. Did he truly love this? I uncork the vial.

"Bottoms up. Amélie."

I drink the vial and gulp it all down.

Your pov

"Welp.", I say as I get up

"Guess that was it.", a tear streaks off of my shoulder into the empty coffee cup on my table.

"I'm really sorry, luv. Do you need a place to stay?", Lena asks.

Sometimes. Sometimes I wanna believe this world is not truly cruel. That it's not truly heartless. But what a lie that is.

"No. I think I'll be fine. Thanks."

"Where will ya go?"

"I'll find a place. Bye, Lena.", I say in a monotonous voice as I walk by her.

She puts her hand on my arm.

"If you want...I can call up some friends. We can find ya a place to bunk for the night."

I sigh loudly.

"You're not letting go, are you?"

"Nope."

"Fine."

I look out into the street. She hadn't come. This world truly was heartless.