Chapter 19: Captured

I woke up as I seemed to recall events through what seemed like flashes. Almost like I had photos of them taken and shown at the same time.

The snow. The entrance. The group being attacked by...something...
Amélie... Amélie!

I wake up yelling but I can only hear my muffled voice.
I feel an agonizing pain in my side and as I look down, I realize in terror where I am.
I am back on the slab. Back in the laboratory.
I struggle, which of course is only futile.
I scream as tears start to stream down my cheeks.
I don't want to be here. I don't want to be here! I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE!!

But no one came as I laid there, crying, screaming in agony.

"Now, come come, (L/N). No one likes a crybaby."
Doctor Hollin! No. No! NO!

He walks over, or rather crawls over.
His bottom half has been replaced, by that of one of the omnics with the four hoovelike feet attached underneath.
Instead, it had now been modified to carry him, almost like a scorpion, with six or eight legs.

He walked over to me with his gross face and his green goggles.
Stay away! Stay away!!
"We haven't yet concluded our experiments, did we? Fellow scientist."
He laughed loudly, as I looked up in the blinding light and wished with all my fervor to be elsewhere. Anywhere. I would have rather been in hell than here.

"Now. I've kept an eye on you once we 'unleashed' you. The Temaris project. Your sad excuse for life. Even your whole adventure with Talon and Overwatch. My, my, who would have known. A sad excuse like you, taking a liking to an infamous assassin like Widowmaker."
He knew. He knew! I haven't been safe! It was all a ruse!

"A lesser man would not have foreseen your attack on me today. I had been ready for weeks!", He laughed.

All I could think about was getting out of here. I thought breaking my arms would suffice, but as I looked around and saw the many automated turrets, it would be no use.

I laid down as I sobbed into the mask, realising my cruel fate.
But I remembered my friends. I remember Amélie. They wouldn't abandon me.

"Have you stopped sobbing all of a sudden? Oh, look at you. The look of hope on your face! I wonder what that is about? About your friends I demolished earlier perhaps?", He chuckled.

I look into his eyes in anger.

"Oh, how they squealed and screamed. That they 'wouldn't abandon you'. And that 'I'd regret this'. Even your little assassin lover promised me death. And yet."

He leaned in closer.
"Every."
I can smell the stench of his breath.
"One of them."
His face is next to mine.
"Fell. By my hand."
He started to chuckle and cackle as I imagined all of them dying. Being killed.
Tracer.
Lucio.
D.Va.
Amélie.

Time seemed to stop as the dark room around me faded.
"I can't save them."
"I can't save anyone."
"Good for nothing. That's what I am."

My own mind echoed these thoughts as I slowly but surely allowed myself to be consumed.
What was the point?
Amélie would be killed if I hoped she'd save me. And there's no way out of here for me.
It's best she moved on. Found someone else. Someone stronger.
Someone smarter.
Someone...better.
I closed my eyes and gave up.

Amélie's P.O.V.

I got up from the cold ground. He took him. Y/N. He just...took him, like it was nothing.

I sat on my knees and looked down at the snow.
My heart ached as I realized how easily we were overcome.

"Ow..."

I looked next to me and saw Lucio sitting up, holding onto his belly in pain.

"Everyone alive? We good?", He groaned.

Everyone got up out of the snow, very clearly wounded, groaning remarks and walking towards us.

"Luv? Are you alright?", Tracer asked me.

"He took him...", I choked up at the last word.

"I know. But we're going to get him back. We aren't leaving him behind."
Tracer grabs my hand and pulls me up off the floor.
"But only if you're with us. He needs you in there."

Everyone looks at me. Where once I believed would be looks of anger, frustration, bloodlust and disgust, were now smiles, nods, acknowledgement, hope and kindness.

I nodded back to them as I turned to the door and started to march in.

Timeskip

We made our way down, floor after floor. Almost no resistance. No agents, no scientists. Nothing.
As we descended another floor, we heard a bloodcruling scream. HIS scream. My heart could not take it anymore as I charged ahead towards the noise.

"Y/N!", I yelled.
The others attempted to call me and stop me, but to no avail.

End of the floor, steps down, another floor, another scream. I rushed and ran throguh the building towards the sound.
As I open up a door which was marked as "Experiment room", I encountered something...horrifying.

"Aha. Miss Widowmaker."
I look up and aim my rifle at the man which seems to hang from the ceiling, in the middle of the room above Y/N.

"Now, now. Let's not do anything brash, shall we? After all. The experiment is almost FINISHED!"

He yelled the last word as he flicked a switch and electricty ran through Y/N's body as he screamed out in pain. His body emanated smoke, indicating this was no small voltage.

The scientist seemed to look down and smile eerily.
"Finally. The experiment is... A succes!"
He crawled away as I tried to unleash a shot into the dark ceiling. He landed next to a lever, pulling it and looking at the chair.

The chair tilted forward as I saw Y/N with his eyes closed and barely breathing.

"Y/N!", I yelled as my legs carried me forwards towards him.

The chair released him as he fell forward onto his knees. I just wanted to be near him. To check that he was safe. That he was alright.

I got close and fell to my knees, discarding my rifle as tears ran down my face and I put my hands on his cheeks.

"Y/N! Y/N, talk to me, chèrie! Dis-moi que tu vives encore!", I said as I sobbed uncontrolably.

But then his eyes opened...