Chapter 10: Where it all began

Widowmaker pov

I look up on the screens that Sombra is typing away at. My nails are dug into her chair. I feel despair. Fear. Sadness. These feelings...I have not felt them in such a long time. I can't even notice the tears that are starting to form.

"Ey. Amélie. Don't worry. We'll find him.", Sombra says reassuringly.

"What have I done, Sombra? Y/N needs to know the truth. He needs to see that it wasn't fake."

Just then, I saw movement on another screen. It was the camera feed of the lab.

"Sombra? What is that?"

She looks over and enlarges the screen. A dark cloaked figure walks over to the bomb.

"Mierda. Intruder.", she says as we run into the halls. Y/N will have to wait. We've been found out.

The doors slide open. I take my rifle and aim at the figure.

"Arrête! Hands up!"

He seems to be surprised. He puts up his hands as he turns around.

"Well, well. Who would've known it would turn out like this, huh? It is truly ironic."

"What are you talking about?", I yell.

He's not allowed near that project. It's Y/N's project. And I won't let him toy with that.

"Sorry, Widowmaker, but-"

"That is no longer my name!"

I couldn't see his face. The hood was conceiling most of it. All I could see was his chin and his lips forming a smile.

"That's something he wanted to believe, you know? But you went and engraved it into his heart and his memory.", he said walking forward, hands in the air.

"Stop! I will shoot you!"

"Will you? I doubt it. Because I know you well enough now. You don't want to hurt me. You've done this song and dance before. Remember?"

Gerard. How did he know?

"Let's just say some friends have really detailed records. Some that I, without authorization, read."

I started shaking.

"I think he wanted to see the good in you. But when I read that I felt his despair, anger and sadness grow even more."

Why am I shaking? This was never a problem before! He was reading me like a book, every emotion written plainly on my face.

" You won't shoot me."

"What makes you think that?", I snapped.

He smiled and took of his hood.

Y/N... his hair had turned white. His eyes orange. And his skin purple.

"Because. You don't want to harm me. Do you, mon amour?"

I wanted to fire. Whatever this thing did to him, I had to get rid of it. But I just... couldn't.

I lowered my sniper rifle.

"Y/N...je t'aime. You know that? Don't you?", I said. Tears had started to form on my cheeks.

"Too little, too late. He is gone, Amélie. His heart had been shattered. I simply took over after a bit of...persuasion."

He started laughing as he walked back towards the nuke.

"I'll definitely give him the message though! At least, once we are done here."

"You're gonna do no such thing, cabron!"

Out of invisibility jumped Sombra. She was headed to get on his back and work him to the ground. He simply opened a portal and walked through, appearing at the nuke whilst Sombra was grabbing air as she fell to the floor.

"This reunion has been most pleasant.", he said.

"But, I fear me and the Temaris project have a bit of a date to go to. With the rest of the world."

A larger portal appeared above the nuke. It started to move over the nuke, transporting it in it's whole.

"We shall be going back to where the project began! I dare all of you to come find us! And do brong your overwatch friends. It's going to be a blast!"

And with that, bot the nuke and Y/N had vanished.

I fell to my knees. That wasn't him. That was something else. Something I had created.

Sombra runs up to me and I can faintly hear her voice. But I'm not listening. I can still see the way he stood there. The white hair. The orange eyes. The purple skin. He had taken the same treatment I had taken.

Timeskip a few hours

Reaper went and threw a chair through the room, smashing his hands on the table afterwards.

"And he found out?! After which he has escaped our grasp and now threatens to actually use the Temaris project himself?!"

We had to tell him. He had to know. We had to figure something out.

I see Sigma giving me a strange stare.

"Like hell I'll be working with overwatch again! I can stop him by my own!"

I watch him walk to the door, his usual masked angry self.

Sigma walked in front of the door.

"I'm afraid to say, Reaper, you can not. Not by yourself."

"And do tell me, Sigma, why you believe that?!"

"The poison."

"What?"

My eyes widened. How did he know?

"They described the purple skin. The same one that is missing on...her."

He points to me.

"I remember the man who has worked on that poison. That treatment. Allow me to say, Reaper. It changes each individual differently. Especially if left unchecked."

Reaper stayed silent, unsure what to say.

Sigma sighed. "This treatment gives people abilities. The way Amélie was able to steady her sniper without second thought. The way she could gauge her opponents. This was all in a trained environment. With Y/N...it is untrained, unchecked and loaded with emotion. So do take one advice."

He went to put his hand on Reaper's shoulder.

"Do not underestimate a scientist scorned."

Timeskip a few days

He has been gone for so long now. Yet I remember his embraces. His words. His kindness. Sadly, he has made no contact yet.

The overwatch team and us have joined hands. The scale of the attacl will be too large for one side to handle.

Reaper and Soldier don't see eye to eye. And Tracer has a certain scowl anytime she's around me. As do certain others.

They are sceptic about my change. But they know and trust Y/N. The real one, anyway.

I truly hope we'll see you again soon, chèrie.